VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using AVIDemux 64 bit on the PC in my computer details with no problems. The OS is W7 64 bit.
    It opens the .mov files and I append several together, then convert the mono PCM audio to stereo AC3. Works great.

But I tried the same edit on one of my other PCs with a 32 bit W7 OS and AVIDemux hangs and won't open the same file.
    Does this on another 32 bit OS computer and the 32 bit version even does it on my 64 bit PC.

I'm guessing I'm missing something obvious, but a forum search doesn't turn up anything.
    I looked around the AVIDemux forum and didn't find any info there either.

The Mediainfo text file from the .mov:

General
    Complete name : F:\DRAG2\REC_0001.MOV
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : QuickTime
    Codec ID : qt
    File size : 3.99 GiB
    Duration : 37mn 6s
    Overall bit rate : 15.4 Mbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2004-01-01 00:00:00
    Tagged date : UTC 2004-01-01 00:00:00

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
    Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=15
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 14.7 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 30.000 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.237
    Stream size : 3.82 GiB (96%)
    Language : English

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : PCM
    Format settings, Endianness : Little
    Format settings, Sign : Signed
    Codec ID : sowt
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 512 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 1 channel
    Sampling rate : 32.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Stream size : 136 MiB (3%)
    Language : English

A JPG from the AppHang:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	23842  

Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The only thing i can suggest if you haven't done is install ffdshow on the 32 bit o/s and configure it for quicktime.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've been using AVIDemux 64 bit on the PC in my computer details with no problems.
    I would rather suggest keep using only those do not create any problems.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by enim View Post
    I've been using AVIDemux 64 bit on the PC in my computer details with no problems.
    I would rather suggest keep using only those do not create any problems.
    The problem is I need to install it on a relatives computer so he can do these same edits on a 32 bit PC.

And thanks, johns0, I'll give that a try and post back.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I made some little progress with the 32 bit AVIDemux. It doesn't seem to accept .MOV files, at least my .MOV files. Adding Quicktime Alternative and ffdshow didn't do a thing.

A workaround is to use MKVMerge and remux the files into a MKV container. AVIDemux 32 bit accepts that. Then I just need to convert the mono PCM audio to 384 bitrate AC3, remix to stereo and resample to 48000. Then mux it all together for a second time using AVIDemux. My problem is trying to relate all this to my non-tech relative.

I still like using AVIDemux in case the relative wants to do some simple edits. If MKVmerge/MKVToolnix could do my audio conversions, I could probably drop AVIDemux as teaching the relative to do keyframe edits may not be too successful. Worst case, I'll just have him bring the vids to me and that will probably be faster than trying to explain this all.

EDIT: The really dumb thing about all this is the video plays on WMP, Zoom Player, MPC, VSO, VLC and other players with no problems. Apparently the problem with the editors is the wrapper/container for the video.
    Last edited by redwudz; 3rd Mar 2014 at 15:49.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can use audacity to load the video file and export as 384 ac3 stereo at 48khz,just install the ffmeg for audacity add-on,in audacity you will need to go into edit/preferences/import/export and have use custom mix checked.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, but that just adds another difficulty level for the relative. AVIDemux allows him to edit after the MKVMerge conversion, along with changing the audio to stereo, so a bit simpler. I just don't understand why the difference in AVIDemux 32 bit and 64 bit for .mov files. Maybe I should have installed W7 64 bit on his PC.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I just don't understand why the difference in AVIDemux 32 bit and 64 bit for .mov files.
    Try comparing codecs installed on both, 32 bit and 64 bit machines. Issue seems to be related with decoder(s).
    Have you tried AVIDMux Support Forum?
    Last edited by enim; 4th Mar 2014 at 10:32.
    Quote Quote  
  9. A couple of random thoughts to trigger ideas, have you tried Quicktime itself rather than Quicktime alternative? And possibly Level 4.1 is too high for that Avidemux/Quicktime/OS combination.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've dug around the AVIDemux forums a bit, but nothing obvious. I guess I would have to join and post there.

I can't change the level of 4.1, it's built into the camera. I haven't tried the real Quicktime. I do suspect a codec issue as remuxing to MKV seems to fix it. I do suspect there is a fair bit of difference between the 32 bit version and the 64 bit version of AVIDemux. And it may be the codecs. If so, I will just move on and find some other method or program for editing with a 32 bit OS. I can still edit with no problem with the 64 bit OS on my own PC.
    Quote Quote