VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been having a hard time deinterlacing some clips from my old Panasonic HDC-SD1 which uses PAFF interlacing. I've gone over Soopafresh's thread and could never get his bat files to work on my computers. I then tried xvid4psp and got one video to work, but every one after that was just slightly longer/shorter then the original. I need it to be the same exact size because I've already edited the video in Ulead and I'm just trying to replace the old m2t file with the newly deinterlaced file.

Since then I've researched alot, and came up with this script which (I think/so far) deinterlaces great in virtualdubmod. I output to Lagarith. I'd really like to stick with this way instead of xvid4psp, but will use either way that I can get to work correctly (deinterlace nicely AND be the EXACT same length).

load_stdcall_plugin("yadif.dll")
    DirectShowSource("T:\video.m2t", fps=29.97)
    yadif(order=1)
    Lanczos4Resize(1280,720)

But just like with the xvid4psp output files (m2ts btw) Ulead is complaining about file size saying that it should be longer then 00:24:35.14

When I look at both files they're both 24 minutes and 35 seconds, so it's looking like it's off by milliseconds. What am I doing wrong? Is there anything I can add to that script to make it stay the exact same time length as the original so ulead won't complain?

Thanks in advance.... I feel like I'm closer then I've ever been to getting this to work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, bob deinterlacing PAFF ends up with odd results. Try adding AssumeTFF() before you deinterlace and assumefps(59.94) after you run yadif. Don't know if it'll fix your length problem but give it a shot.
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Yeah, bob deinterlacing PAFF ends up with odd results. Try adding AssumeTFF() before you deinterlace and assumefps(59.94) after you run yadif. Don't know if it'll fix your length problem but give it a shot.
    Thanks for your response Soopafresh.

Is there a different deinterlacer I could use that would give me the same awesome quality of the yadif results, but not screw with the frame count?

I ran your script suggestions through the time line of Vdub and it was still coming up 3 frames short like my first one. I didn't actually encode it because of that, but before I got your reply I did some more digging, and came up with this:

load_stdcall_plugin("yadif.dll")
    DirectShowSource("T:\video.m2t", fps=29.970, framecount=44220)
    yadif(order=1)
    Lanczos4Resize(1280,720)

adding the framecount=44220 (the original file's framecount) made it the right size in the vdub timeline, but it filled the end couple of frames with grey empty frames, and one crazy stray frame from somewhere in the middle of the video.

Then I realized I was saying fps=29.97, so I added the extra 0 to make it 29.970 like my original file said. Now the last few frames are just repeats of the last frame. I encoded that one, and Ulead DID accept the file! Yeah! I just remade it and it looks like the edits are in the right spot.

I did add the AssumeTFF() right before my yadif(order=1) line in the script above, and ran it through vdub's timeline and got the right frame count, so to be safe I think I'll keep adding that in the future.

My Lagarith output's audio/video tracking looked like it was wavering in wmp, but it would get back on track if I draged the timeline. I opened it in mediaplayer home cinema and it gave an error on the avi splitter, and reverted to a different splitter. Then it played fine, and the audio was perfect unlike in wmp. I used AVI-Mux GUI (defalut settings since I've never used it before), and then I didn't get the error in mediaplayer home cinema (but still had the on track again/off track again audio in wmp, but that isn't that weird seeing as I'm playing a 37gb lagarith file). I'm thinking this definetly has something to do with interleaving the audio and video, but not sure what yet. Any suggestions?

I've reencoded my lagarith file into Xvid, WMV, and Ipod formats and they all play fine in wmp/quicktime. I'm encoding into a 1280x720 3k bitrate x264 tonight while I'm sleeping with MeGUI. I'll post how that one turns out tomorrow.

I'm so glad I'm not shooting with this Panasonic anymore, and have moved on to the Canon HF11 with 30p - every problem completely solved with the new camera (plus almost double the bitrate and full 1080). Although I just saw that Sony is putting out a 60p avchd camera this fall, so I'm sure I'll upgrade once Canon puts theirs out (which I just know is going to be a nightmare to edit at first - ugh).

So, at this point I'll keep testing to see if I can continue making files that have the same frame count so I can use them in pre-edited ulead timelines, but if anyone knows of a better way of deinterlacing these things while still ending up with the exact frame count I'm all ears!
    Quote Quote  
  4. any chance you could cut a small sample and post it somewhere? i'd be interested to see if the same technique used on hv30 24p encoded as 30i to convert to true 24p, would work on your paff. the output would be true progressive rather than 30i though.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by minidv2dvd
    any chance you could cut a small sample and post it somewhere? i'd be interested to see if the same technique used on hv30 24p encoded as 30i to convert to true 24p, would work on your paff. the output would be true progressive rather than 30i though.
    I just knew this would come up sooner or later. I don't really have any footage that is... uh.... ummmm.... appropriate for a PG rated board. I don't use that camera anymore, and my above method (FINALLY!!!!!! has worked out for me), so I can't shoot anything real quick for a public test. Thanks for your help though.... I'm so excited that I finally figured it out. Death to PAFF!
    Quote Quote