VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So I've tried streaming a pure bluray rip to my wdtv live gen 3. It sees the folder (using playon to stream from my win8 pc). However it starts for a second or two and then just hangs and goes back to the folder view.

I can stream h264 bluray conversions perfectly (from ripbot and mediacoder). So my setup is good. it's just the payload of the bluray rip seems to be too much for my router.

I have a netgear WNDR3400v2. This is a wireless n router.

Would I need to buy an ac wireless router to get the power to stream an unaltered bluray rip?

If you have experience in successfully streaming a pure bluray rip to a wdtv or other settop media player please let me know what router you are using and whether or not you are using anything but the standard settings on the router.

Thanks.

Edit - fyi it wouldn't play a bluray iso rip from the stream - it tries to play a m2ts file in a non iso bluray rip (ie the full folder structure and individual m2ts files). I haven't tried the bluray iso on a harddrive directly connected to the wdtv yet.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I stream through LAN, not wireless - using Network Share in WDTV Live and no problem (100Mbit or 1Gbit, no difference). To read some comments from around a web, at some point a huge number of users would complain using wireless and BluRay 1:1 copy, wires are just wires.

You are using playon though, not sure where your question was directed, if general question, or just playon issue, it should be separated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess my question is throughput. Is a pure bluray rip too massive for wifi of any type?

The playon works just fine for my h264 conversions so the configuration is good.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    Would I need to buy an ac wireless router to get the power to stream an unaltered bluray rip?
    No, a wireless N connection can have up to 600MBps transfer rates, blu ray is only 40. I can't be bother figuring out if there's a bit/byte discrepancy there because it doesn't matter (600/8=75). Besides, AC would be pointless since the WDTV only has an N adaptor. Your router can stream up to 300 mbps. Technically it should be possible for you to stream a Blu ray, but of course, your question is unanswerable. It depends on your situation. It depends on how far away the wireless devices are from each other, how strong the signal is, what's between them, how much wireless traffic there is in your area, how much interference. It's wireless, if it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. If you want reliability, if you want to KNOW, get a wire.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm ripping Iron Man 2 into a blu ray folder right now. I've unplugged MY WDTV live gen 3 from the wired network and connected it wirelessly. My router is a WNDR4500 N900 and it's about two and a half meters from my WDTV. I'll see how it goes and report.

(Streaming via wireless is a bad idea in any case)
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Playon is a piece of crap,try using ps3 media server,it's freeware with no ads and has better output settings.I'm using it on my ps3 with no issues at all with high bitrates.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Since I hadn't tried this in a while, I transferred a Blu-ray .m2ts file of Jurassic Park 3 to my server. The only wireless I have set up is my laptop presently. I was able to stream high action scenes to my laptop from the server at ~50Mbps. My laptop connection is rated at 72Mbps, so that was pushing it.

It played it back full screen with MPC-HD 64 bit player with no stutters or dropouts. VLC couldn't handle it and just locked up. My old laptop wouldn't do this and this new one with W8.1 isn't that fast and uses a Intel HD Graphics 4000 card and a Antheros Ar9485 Wireless N adapter.

The router I'm using at present is a Actiontec Q1000 from the ISP.

My WDTV Live is an older model, no WIFI, though I have a couple of WIFI USB N adapters I could probably try.

A screen shot of Task manager at a fairly high action part of the movie with the .m2ts file. I would say streaming a BD rip should work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MPHC.JPG
Views:	527
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	24659
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's odd, I just got a slide show. The wireless interface in the WDTV mustn't be that fast.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    -void-
    Last edited by ndjamena; 21st Apr 2014 at 03:11.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, so now I'm playing my Ironman 2 MakeMKV rip via wireless and it's almost perfect playback.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had Iron Man on a WD Green, apparently it couldn't handle the bitrate. I've ripped The Avengers and put it on the RAID drive and it's streaming perfectly through wireless. Something is wrong with your set-up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone and Ndjamena. Maybe I should isolate the main movie and remix it to a single file.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
  13. I think the WDTV devices don't use a large enough read-ahead buffer. So it's a short term throughput problem not an average throughput issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought I'd mention I was able to play a bluray iso rip perfectly on the wdtv by usb harddrive. It was movie only no menu support obviously.

However I still can't get it to play either a iso or bdmv folder over wifi. I'm still using playon. I haven't tried ps3mediaserver for this particular application yet.

And as I have mentioned playon works just fine for streaming my h264 conversions from bluray so playon isn't broken in that sense.

I also haven't tried remuxing the main movie yet.
    Quote Quote  
  15. This is not reliable approach for this player, or any media player I guess. I doubt it is solid. If I tried to do something with wireless I'd use wireless bridge, but I have no need myself to do that so it is only my theory. Connect that wi-fi bridge and WDTV Live with wires.

Secondly, it is not working 100% even with wires, m2ts streaming, if movie was in one piece, no playlists , I remember there could be problems, stuttering, it work most of the time, but with some titles, not perfect and that was through LAN, not wireless. That is what was first on my mind, why not to just copy m2ts, like you trying to do. How is playon different than direct m2ts smb share. But just enveloping video and audio with MKV is solid, perfect, go this way. Anyway, use wires, I guess it is better environmentally.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!