VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All,

I would like to by Sony DVP-FX970 portable player from US, The player is region locked (region 1) and NTSC.

I have found hacking method from this site which makes the player region free.

I would like to know whether after unlocking it will play PAL disks, or it will play NTSC disks only?

The analog output is not a big deal, NTSC or PAL as my TV is multi-system and supports both color system.

The important is that the player would be able to play the both systems in own screen.

Any comments wold be appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There are no guarantees that the hack works....or that a Sony sold in NTSC-Land will accept PAL discs.
    Buying that DVD player is NOT worth the risk in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, I think so also. It would be better to purchase a player which meets my requirements.

Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Speciality players, which includes portables, DVD/VCR combos, DVD/TV combos, home theater systems, etc. have always been incredibly difficult to unlock even some years ago when it was relatively easy in the USA and Canada to find DVD players that could be unlocked. Sony and Samsung models sold in the USA/Canada currently are essentially impossible to unlock. So you were already facing some long odds just with being portable, but with it being a Sony, forget it. You can try the hack, but almost certainly it will fail. I have no idea whether Sony players can convert PAL to NTSC or not since they can't be unlocked here, but if you unlock the player it will play your PAL DVDs. You'll just have to test whether it lets you change the output video setting to NTSC or not.

If you want a region free player I do not recommend buying anything from the USA/Canada if you don't live there. Players sold in other parts of the world are generally easier to unlock although you should still avoid Samsung and Sony. Despite their official denials, Philips still sells some DVD players n North America that can be unlocked and Pioneer may do so too.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    olyteddy - Your post is completely irrelevant to the subject of this thread.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oops. replied to the wrong thread...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, I bought a Sony DVP-FX970 in the US and I wanted to make it region free. It is been hard to find a solution or method. The one I found here in the site didn't seem to work. Anyone to give a good tip?
    Quote Quote