VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a recurring problem when I edit DVDs getting a DVD to start from the beginning with VLC. Here's the situation.

Sometimes I'll receive a sports DVD that is better quality but it is missing some time at the beginning and/or end or maybe I need to fill some missing time. So I use MPEGStreamclip to make an MPG. I then edit my lower quality video with MPEGSTreamclip and export the time I need to fill (beginning, middle and/or end) and export that as MPG. So, last night I edited a game to add pre-game and post game from an inferior video and had to clip a color test pattern off the better quality image. I then take the 3 (in this case) MPG files and author an ISO in Toast. When that is done, I mount the ISO and rip with MTR. I then remove bad sectors with MyDVDEdit. Here's the problem.

When I test the Mac DVD player there aren't any problems; the DVD starts from the beginning, plays the poorer quality video in this case for 6 minutes, very slight milisecond pause, plays new high quality video, milisecond pause, and then plays the last inferior video. No problem.

But when I open the VIDEO_TS with VLC, the DVD does not start with the pre-game inferior video but instead stars with the new video (what was MPEG2 in my Toast video tab authored file). Normally I wouldn't worry about this but I am re-authoring for myself and my friend and he watches everything on VLC so he is not getting the same starting point. I assume there has to be a way in MyDVDEdit to code the DVD so VLC and any other player will start from what is now the new VOB1. I can write back with screenshots of the First Menu stuff if that is helpful, but if someone can walk me through what I should change with MyDVDEdit, I would really appreciate the advice. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try play with MPlayerX also(open the video_ts folder and not just vobs). Just to check if it's VLC-only problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Not a mac user and no idea how you authored the DVD but if you use any commands in the first play domain notice that VLC defaults to start directly in menu.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VLCDVDMenu.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	35157
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I finally had time to test this again. MPlayerX mirrors the Mac DVD player and plays form the beginning.

Checking the box for "No DVD Menu" in VLC solves the problem. I don't know why VLC does this but I've had the same problem every time I edit in ways I described in the OP.
    Quote Quote