VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey everyone,

I have been doing video editing and DVD burning since 2003. I just now got my first BluRay burner yesterday, along with some one time single layer BluRays from Memorex, one dual layer re-writable BluRay from Virbatim, and 5 sinlge layer re-writable discs from Virbatim.

My burner model number is LiteOn IHBS312-98.

I use Sony Vegas Pro 10 32bit edition to edit videos, and DVD Architech Pro 5.0 (I believe).

My current project is making a Blu Ray disc for my family from old home videos. There is a lot of footage. Originally, these where on VHS tapes. A couple years back, I bought a standard DVD Burner that connects to a TV and backed up all the VHS to DVDs. Just this past week, I ripped all the DVDs onto my hard drive so they are straight mpeg2 files. 740x480 with a 4:3 screen ratio. I discovered a decent stretch feature to make the 4:3 into 16:9 with out messing with the picture quality much, so my target ratio is 16:9. My family has a PlayStation 3 to play this bluray on, and I am choosing the BluRay format for this standard def project so I can fit as much as I can on one disc.

I attempted to burn a test BluRay today. I first put in a single layer blank re-writable. I have Windows 7 64bit, and I did a basic erase on the disc using windows's baisc erase featuring in My Computer. I had 2 negative out comes on these burnings, but I also don't have only VLC media player to play my bluray discs on right now.

First, I just opened DVD architect and dropped a few of the standard 4:3 ratio mpeg2 files in that I ripped off the DVDs. To do a quick burn test, I made a cheap DVD menu and had Architect create an ISO. Now, in architect, it said the 5 files I had picked where a total of 19 gigs. But when the ISO file was burned, it was done pretty quick at 2x speed, and asfter it was done, I was unable to get VLC media player to play the disc, and in 'my computer' it was showing 21.6 (or so) out of the 22 gigs on the disc where free. As if it wasn't a finalzed burn or something.

So I erased the disc, and started again. This time I only added one mpeg2 file, and made a non menu burn out of it. After it was done, VLC media launched the disc, and I heard audio, but no video. When the video popped on the screen, it was real choppy and wasn't playing correctly at all.

I used Architech to burn the ISO file onto the disc. Using this forum, I see the program imgburn tossed around a lot, so I plan on trying that. But any other suggestions as to whats happening???
    Quote Quote  
  2. I tried imgburn, and it had no errors or issues when burning the BluRay, yet I can't get it to play back on my PC with VLC when I select the bluray playback. I even took the ISO and mounted it with Deamon tools and made imgburn creat a new ISO from the files on the original ISO to make sure all the files where good to use.

Is this a problem with VLC not being able to play this? Or is this another issue from DVD Architect or maybe with my burner? I have the ability today to test an HD video I just burned to bluray on a Playstation 3. If the PS3 plays it, I'll assume its the VLC media player on my PC, and look into buying a BluRay player for my TV.

Anything thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, try it on the playstation or someones blue ray player first. VLC may have issues playing your blueray disk. For instance I can't even get latest VLC to play a mkv file on my computer. Earlier versions were just fine. But earlier versions don't play blue ray either.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks Treetops. I'll be posting back later today with my Playstation 3 results. Hoping to buy a settop bluray player as well. Are there certain ones that won't play BD-R or BD-RE media? And do all bluray players have firmware update options?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unlike CD or DVD previously, blu-ray had -R & -RE specs pretty much set when it started out of the gate, so any set top BD player should be able to play a correctly-author blu-ray disc.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  6. Awesome guys! Thanks for the replies. It was apparently VLC media player having the issues. I tried the disc on a Playstation 3, and everthing worked flawlessly. I just bought an LG set top player tonight. Thanks again for the replies!

This is the best forum I have ever stumbled upon! Thanks a million again!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok, I have ran into another issue guys.

I am taking a lot of standard def videos into vegas for a project. I want to burn this project onto BluRay to have a lot of storage space. The video plans to be all SD, but put on BD for several hours on one disc.

I recorded VHS home movies to DVDs using a set top DVD burner a few years ago. I then last week used VOB2MPEG to rip them onto my hard drive. They are exact copies of the files on the DVDs, but they are all in one mpeg2 file.

FOr a BluRay test burn, I setup DVD Architech for a BluRay Menu based project. I then took 4 or 5 of those mpeg2 files I ripped right off of the standard DVDs and pointed simple menu buttons to them and rendered it into an ISO in which I used IMGBURN to burn to a BD-RE 25 gig disc. I used about 19.6 gigs of the disc.

When i put the disc in my set top BluRay player, the menu came up fine and the neavigation to all the buttons where fine.

However, when I selected a button to play one of the files, the audio played fine, but the video was very choppy/laggy. And the hour/min/second counter on the players display was jumping numbers. Instead of counting up from 1 second and onward, it would jump from 1 second to 4 then from 4 to 7, back to 5, and so on.

DO I need to re-render the original mpeg2 files I ripped off the standard DVDs in vegas using one of the BluRay templates to eliminate this issue? Or is this something else that is causing this...? I need to emntion, I plan on editing and adding transitions, text titles, ect and what not to a lot of the SD footage before it goes to blueray. So re-rendering them is going to get done anyways, I just wondered if it was needed to make them play on the bluray disc and if it was the cause of my current issue.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I know you are trying to cram a lot of SD stuff on a Blue Ray disk but I wouldn't do it. DVD's are so cheap now I just use DVD's for SD vids and DVD+R's for my short AVCHD high definition vids that will play on my blue ray player. But they have to be short videos as the high definition vids take up a lot of space on the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    I know you are trying to cram a lot of SD stuff on a Blue Ray disk but I wouldn't do it. DVD's are so cheap now I just use DVD's for SD vids and DVD+R's for my short AVCHD high definition vids that will play on my blue ray player. But they have to be short videos as the high definition vids take up a lot of space on the DVD.
    But blu-ray is not expensive anymore, too. A 10-pack is less than about $20. Packing in there standard-def MPEG2 video with a total average bit rate of, say, 6mb/s (with maybe a 192kb/s DD track) can let you cram close to 10hrs on a 25GB BD-R, more if you lower the bitrate. Of course it may be more complicated to make because I suppose consumer blu-ray authoring programs, left to their own devices, will force re-encoding of SD input files to HD and h264. But all previous SD elementary streams valid for, and specifically prepared for DVD can still be used for blu-ray; it's a matter of tweaking or finding a blu-ray authoring program that will not alter or re-encode valid SD MPEG2 files submitted to it in any way. Multi-AVCHD may do this and it's a swell program but its author hasn't updated it in ages...
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  10. I am using DVD architect pro 5.0 to put these blurays together. I realised that I didn't change the project properties before I started the ISO render. Would the properties being set to HD resolution (the 1440 x whatever it is at 60i) and at 16:9 effect the playback of these when they are 720x480 at 4:3?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by liberty610 View Post
    I am using DVD architect pro 5.0 to put these blurays together. I realised that I didn't change the project properties before I started the ISO render. Would the properties being set to HD resolution (the 1440 x whatever it is at 60i) and at 16:9 effect the playback of these when they are 720x480 at 4:3?
    A blu-ray authoring program worth its salt should not re-encode compliant SD & HD streams given to it, regardless of project settings. The key word is compliant. Ideally you should input compliant elementary streams, not program streams such as those *.MPGs. It may see program streams as cue to transcode (and transcode horribly).
    Quote Quote  
  12. I am not real sure what you mean by that...
    Quote Quote