VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all. I use DVDFab 9.2.2.8 and I always rip my DVD movies as AVI with xvid codec. For whatever reason, about 25% of the videos end up with frameskipping. Every few minutes, it skips 1-2 frames for about 5-10 seconds. Happens in MPC and PS3. Not a huge problem, but annoying nontheless and would like some solutions.

*Edit: It looks like one video ended up as an AVI with the MPEG4 codec, even though I have XVID codec selected for DVDFab. Probably not related to frame skipping, but it did turn out unplayable (unsupported format) on my PS3.
    Last edited by Kracov; 23rd Jun 2016 at 00:19.
    Windows 10, MPC-BE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd suspect an issue with the DVDFab conversion.

RIP with DVDFab and encode with a different tool such as VidCoder (a GUI for Handbrake) and then test again. I don't know what the current popular tool is for xvid, but you would get better quality and smaller file size using mp4. Unless I'm mistaken, the PS3 does support mp4.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. I just tried a DVDfab update, same problem. I like AVIs because of not having to re-encode subtitles. I do know how to convert in other formats. Anyway, I was hoping there was an option to tweak in dvdfab, but guess not. Thanks for your help.
    Windows 10, MPC-BE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what you are referring to concerning subtitles. You can have external or contained subtitles. It's the same avi and other formats. I've actually taken all of my avi files with external subtitles and used MkvToolNix to add them both into a mkv file (so I don't have to deal with multiple files). In any case, you don't "re-encode" subtitles.

As to using other formats, depending on the hardware that you are using, there are several codecs with better quality to file size ratio than the standard avi file using divx. If you want to spend a little time learning, and experimenting to see what works best on your hardware, you can get much better results than you have currently.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The PS3 supports the following:

The following types of files can be played under (Video).
    Memory Stick Video Format
    - MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
    - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
    - MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
    MP4 file format
    - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
    MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
    MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
    MPEG-2 TS(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3(Dolby Digital), AAC LC)
    MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
    AVI
    - Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
    - Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
    AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
    DivX
    WMV
    - VC-1(WMA Standard V2)

So it boils down to how much storage space you have and how much quality you wish to retain for your RIPs.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. I meant re-encoding WITH subtitles. With aviaddxsubs you don't do hard encoding, so it's much much faster.
    Windows 10, MPC-BE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's fast because it does NOT reencode. It simply places the avi file and the subtitle file into a divx container.

And I see your options are limited because the PS3 is a crappy media player.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote