VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    What is good DVD ripper software?
    I have some DVD movies (with menus etc), which are unprotected non-commercial DVDs. I have full rights to get the video off them.
    Actually they exists in my storage as ISO images.

At the moment I use WinX DVD Ripper free version. I am willing to pay for something better.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What format do you want to convert them to? If they are ISOs, then they are already 'ripped'.
    I assume you want to convert them instead. If to MKV or MPEG-4, try VidCoder.

EDIT: To answer your original question, AnyDVD HD is still my preferred ripping program.
    Last edited by redwudz; 24th May 2016 at 10:03.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bansaw View Post
    What is good DVD ripper software?
    I have some DVD movies (with menus etc), which are unprotected non-commercial DVDs. I have full rights to get the video off them.
    Actually they exists in my storage as ISO images.

At the moment I use WinX DVD Ripper free version. I am willing to pay for something better.
    If you don't want to re-encode the video and audio, and only want to re-package them to a different container, MakeMKV can produce one or more mkv files from a DVD.

I can't remember if MakeMKV works with ISOs or not. If not, you can mount the ISO using DVDFab Virtual Clone Drive to make it appear to be a disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all... I can mount the ISO image using Virtual Clone Drive.

Will Vidcoder give me one long MP4?
    I tried in the past just copying off the VOB files and trying to glue them together in my editor.
    With that method there's always seemingly a frame or two missing here or there.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    VidCoder will normally work from the DVD-video structure without issues. It would be very unusual for it not to. VidCoder can open ISO files directly. And yes, it will output to one MP4 file or one MKV file depending on which type you choose.

If you need to combine VOB files, I'd suggest Vob2Mpeg, or in the off chance you still want a VOB file output, use VOBMerge. There shouldn't be many times you'll need one giant VOB file however.

All of these tools need unencrypted video, so decryption is always the first step when working with commercial movies. I realize you've stated that your movies are unencrypted, but just a reminder if you want to use them on other films.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by medialover View Post
    Why no body recommend Handbrake?
    Because, as usual, the original poster never provided enough information
    AND....VidCoder is HandBrake, just in a different form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With Handbrake though, it gives you just the MP4 option. I would like to have a good quality AVI , and still interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    If you want AVI and Handbrake at the same time, you'd need to use an older version. I believe 0.9.3 was the last one with AVI support.

www.videohelp.com/download/HandBrake-0.9.3-Win_GUI.exe

There are lots of other options, like VideotoVideo, XMediaRecode or Xvid4PSP.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I can't remember if MakeMKV works with ISOs or not. If not, you can mount the ISO using DVDFab Virtual Clone Drive to make it appear to be a disc.
    MakeMKV does support ISO. Use Open Files instead of Open Disc.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bansaw View Post
    With Handbrake though, it gives you just the MP4 option. I would like to have a good quality AVI , and still interlaced.
    AVI is a container that can have contain multiple different codecs, you need to specify what you're trying to achieve by converting your DVD (i.e. save space, highest quality, playback compatiility, etc).

BTW, the best possible quaility has already been covered by suggestions to use MakeMKV or VOB2Mpeg since they retain the orignal format (Mpeg 2) of the original .
    Last edited by lingyi; 27th May 2016 at 00:48.
    Quote Quote