VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I am looking for a DVD player that upconverts to at least 720p thru component output, because my projector does not have HDMI nor DVI inputs. (It has Component and VGA inputs, in addition to composite and s-video inputs, of course).
    The projector is an XGA Acer PD525.
    The DVD player I am looking for should, possibly, be hacked to region free and support DTS audio.
    Any recommendation about a brand/model that does all this?

Thanks,
    CL.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Component upconversion is not necessary. The projector converts any input (480p/720p/1080i) into your selected output resolution. The native resolution for that projector is 1024x768 (maximum of 1280x1024). So what will happen is the DVD player will upconvert the 480p DVD into 720P/1080i (many won't upconvert commercial dvd's) and then your projector will convert the signal AGAIN to match the output resolution.

Just concentrate on finding a quality DVD player that is region free, such as the Oppo 971 (or newer models).
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    Component upconversion is not necessary. The projector converts any input (480p/720p/1080i) into your selected output resolution. The native resolution for that projector is 1024x768 (maximum of 1280x1024). So what will happen is the DVD player will upconvert the 480p DVD into 720P/1080i (many won't upconvert commercial dvd's) and then your projector will convert the signal AGAIN to match the output resolution.

Just concentrate on finding a quality DVD player that is region free, such as the Oppo 971 (or newer models).
    I think what he means is the projector only accept VGA analog, does only can use component to convert to VGA. However, most players cannot convert 720p/1080i HD thru component. Do you mean if there is a HDMI/DVI adaptor then we can see the HD content from the projector? I am looking for one too. Thx.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My point is the projector doesn't display those resolutions anyway, so it is a waste of time. Any upconverted input essentially gets downconverted by the projector because it can't display it.

I don't understand what you are even asking. To see HD content, you need an HD projector.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The LG DN191H will upscale to 720P and 1080i thur component and HDMI. It also has coax and optical digital audio out.

It was selling at Best Buy but haven't seen it lately. Did see them at Radio Shack last week for $69.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it seems that the LG only upconverts unprotected content, which would mean you'd have to backup your dvd in order for it to do so.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cippalippa
    Hi,
    I am looking for a DVD player that upconverts to at least 720p thru component output, because my projector does not have HDMI nor DVI inputs. (It has Component and VGA inputs, in addition to composite and s-video inputs, of course).
    The projector is an XGA Acer PD525.
    The DVD player I am looking for should, possibly, be hacked to region free and support DTS audio.
    Any recommendation about a brand/model that does all this?

Thanks,
    CL.
    Acer PD525
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer-PD525.htm

Why go to 720p?

Your projector is native XGA 1024x768
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XGA

DVD is 720x480. Your projector does a direct conversion (upscale) 720x480p to 1024x768p.

Why go 720x480 to 1280x720 and then 1280x720 to 1024x768?
    Double conversion isn't likely to look better.

A qualiy progressive DVD player connected 480p is likely to be the best way to play a DVD.

HD/BD players playing HD/BD discs are a different story.
    Quote Quote