VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all.
    I've recently been using a Panasonic DMREZ49 to record my Video 8 camcorder tapes onto DVD-R DL discs.
    This machine replaced an earlier model of Panasonic DVD Recorder that broke down (forget which model).
    That older machine used to create chapters every 5 minutes; but the DMREZ49 makes no chapters at all (very inconvenient!)

Having checked the manual it appears the DMREZ49 will only allow 5 minute chapters to be created on DVD-RAM discs.
    On all other disc types it seems the only option is auto-chapter-insertion at mute-points in the source material.
    Ofcourse there are no mute-points on camcorder tapes: so it doesn't create any chapters!

It seems hard to believe Panasonic have done something this stupid! I.e. Removed the ability to auto-create chapters every 5 minutes. One expects newer models to be more flexible than older ones; but in this case it seems they've gone backwards.
    Even more infuriating is that the technical reviews seem not to have noticed this enormous flaw, and instead are waxing lyrical about the wonderfully useful auto-chapter creation capability of this machine. Not so useful for me!!

So my question is: have I missed something? Is there perhaps a menu option I've not found; or is there some kind of workaround?
    Even a firmware update that will solve this problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I absolutely DETEST when people make discs with the auto-chapter function on.
    To each his own I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well in my case I want to be able to step quickly through the chapters to find what I'm looking for in the footage; rather than picture-searching through the whole title (which is usually an hour in length). It's just tediously slow to do it that way. I don't know what Panasonic were thinking!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just rechecked one of my discs, and discovered the Panasonic DMREZ49 has created chapters after all. They're placed at 8 minute intervals.
    However my main playback machine (an Oppo BDP93) doesn't recognise the chapters, which is why I assumed there weren't any!
    (Also the Panasonic manual is very unhelpful, as it doesn't contain any reference to chapter-point creation on discs other than DVD-RAM.)

Has anyone come across this problem before, of Panasonic chapter-points not being recognised on other DVD Players?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    We didn't call them PanaChronic for nothing...

Look for chapters in DVDDecrypter. If they ain't there....they ain't there.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alexh110 View Post
    Just rechecked one of my discs, and discovered the Panasonic DMREZ49 has created chapters after all. They're placed at 8 minute intervals.
    However my main playback machine (an Oppo BDP93) doesn't recognise the chapters, which is why I assumed there weren't any!
    (Also the Panasonic manual is very unhelpful, as it doesn't contain any reference to chapter-point creation on discs other than DVD-RAM.)

Has anyone come across this problem before, of Panasonic chapter-points not being recognised on other DVD Players?
    I downloaded the manual in PDF format and did a search for "chapter" A section on page. 65 verified that chapters for recordings on DVD+R DL will be automatically created at approximately 8 minute intervals if the DVD recorder is set up for automatic chapter creation.

After finalising
    – [-R] [-R DL] [+R] [+R DL] The disc becomes play-only and you can no longer record or edit it.
    – [-RW (V)] You can record and edit the disc after formatting although it becomes play-only after finalising.
    – The disc finalised on the unit may not be playable on other players depending on the condition of the recording.
    – There is a pause of several seconds between titles and chapters during playback.
    – Chapters are created automatically
    [-R] [-R DL] [-RW (V)] about 5-minute chapters*
    [+R] [+R DL] about 8-minute chapters*

*This time varies greatly depending on the condition and
    mode of recording.
    If you can't find chapters using DVD Decrypter or a software DVD player that can use them check Setup->Disc->Settings for Recording to make sure that you have set up automatic chapter creation. (See page 68 of the manual)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Could you point me to the URL for that PDF?
    I already have a PDF of the manual; but it seems to be a different version from the one you have.

In "Setup->Disc->Settings For Recording" the only settings for chapter creation relate solely to DVD-RAM, and not other disc-types.
    I'm pretty sure my old Panasonic DVD Recorder's chapter creation settings affected all disc types.

Not sure why Panasonic would think it's sensible to limit chapter creation settings to the least common disc-type; but it seems that's what they've done!

N.B. The 8-minute chapters are definitely present when playing the disc in the Panasonic; but they don't seem to be recognised by the Oppo. Have not tested the disc in other DVD Players as yet: so it may be a peculiarity of the Oppo BDP93?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!