VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I'm trying to prepare a Slideshow of my marriage and I'm delighted about what it's possible to do with DVD slideshow but I would like to ask if there is a way to keep the original dimension of my photo. I love to work on them with gimp giving each one the dimension I think's best so I would like to see them that way and not stretched (either keeping their ratio....)

One more question....
    I did a beautiful slideshow some years ago for a friend of mine and I think I was able to keep photo dimension in there so I tried to access it to see(I still have the .dsg saved) but I couldn't! Got this message: "The saved file is made in an older version of DVD slideshow GUI and can't be loaded, sorry"!
    I tried already to find some solution by googling and I tried also to install an older DVDslideshow version (8.4) but I got the following message:
    <Unable to convert string "Nothing to Number setselection() in file E:\DVD slideshow GUI\DVDslideshowGUI.exe", line 10340:
    > ResBox.SetSelection(fgets(handle))>
    I really hope you can help me!
    Thanking in advance,
    Best regards.

P.B.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    porta.bricherasio, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by porta.bricherasio View Post
    but I would like to ask if there is a way to keep the original dimension of my photo..
    The original resolution? No, not a chance. They'll have to be resized to (assuming you're in PAL land) 720x576. How you do that and still keep the aspect ratio (so things appear normal and not stretched during DVD playback) depends on the original resolution of the pics and whether you encode for 4:3 or 16:9.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The "dimension" is also known as the Aspect Ratio. If you're putting them onto standard DVD-Video, you have the choice of 4:3 or 16:9 screen sizes. That doesn't mean your images need to fill the screen though. You could letterbox or pillarbox to maintain your "dimensions".

So, for example, say you've got a photo shot with an 8MP Pro Camera. Image is 3:2, 3840x2560 pixels.
    You downsize, maintaining aspect ratio (3:2). The rule is, for ARs that are more Landscape than your screen AR, you lock in the Horizontal. For ARs that are more Portrait than your screen AR, you lock in the vertical. Then pad to fill the remainder of the AR.
    On this one, let's choose 4:3 as the intended DAR. So, you'd lock in the Horizontal.
    You take the RULE: Horiz / Vert x PAR = DAR.
    Or, Horiz / DAR x PAR = Vert.
    Or, 704 / 4 * 3 x 12 / 11 = 576 if it were full screen (12:11 is the PAR for 4:3 PAL). Plugging in our image...
    704 / 3 * 2 x 12 / 11 = 512. So, 704x512.
    Then Pad 32 to top & bottom each, and 8 to Left and Right each (remembering to use even #s here to balance things and to avoid interlacing shifts). This gives 720x576! And it'll look just like the AR ("dimensions") of your original, but will fit the 4:3 screen of your TV.

Do that just like it for every image, ending in 720x576.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm not sure how to load an old .dsg file into the latest DVDSlideshowGUI, but the latest version should keep your aspect ratio just fine!? You need to talk to tin2tin (the developer!).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Can you be a bit more speciffic? When doing what isn't the photos "the original dimension of your photo"?

What is the slideshow intented for? If it is for web/computer use Project Settings > PAR > 1:1 If it is for dvd just leave the settings as it is.

On loading old dsg files this is how it is...
    "The saved file is made in an older version of DVD slideshow GUI and can't be loaded, sorry"
    Quote Quote  
  7. Well, your answer make me clear the "dimension" matter! ThanX a lot!
    ....and pity for the older versions!!
    Quote Quote