VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I Recently purchased a Panasonic DMR ES15 which I've been happily using and been very pleased with for the last 2 weeks. The other day I threw in an old disk with a mixture of DivX avi's and mpeg's, and was horrified to see that it did not recognise the mpeg's.
    Is this right ? .. it doesn't play mpeg's, I thought all recent DVD player/recorders played mpegs.
    The user manual say's it will play VCDs, aren't VCDs just mpegs (mpeg1) with a particular file structure?
    If so, would just re-naming the mpegs to .dat files do the trick or does it need to see the full VCD file structure ?
    Anyone else encountered this problem ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are still a lot of players that won't play raw mpegs, or play them very badly. It's not part of the spec, so support is optional. Changing the extension to dat may work, or it may stop the playre from recognising it altogether. The .dat extension only represents VCD data in the VCD context. Outside of that, it could be anything, so why recognise it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My player doesn't do mpg either - but recognizes VOBs (as data files) for some odd reason. As guns1inger suggests, a simple change of the extension may do the trick.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In general the "name brand" players are more fussy than no-name ones. I would expect a Panasonic to be fairly rigid in what it recognizes.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just author the MPEG videos. If you need a freeware program there is dvdauthor and a couple of good GUI's for it or even IFOEdit will do the trick.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the responses guys....FulciLives, when you say "author the mpegs", do you mean author them as VCD's ?. I've never tried this, does it involve lengthy re-encoding?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    use g-spot to see what you actually have, then compare the settings to those in What is DVD (top left corner of this page). If you have compliant mpegs, then you don't need to re-encode, just author them to make a DVD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote