VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i need to know which dvd burning program should i use.

1. Movies, clips, videos, etc. i.e. avi, rm,mov,mpg,etc
    2. convert them into dvd format.
    3. while converting them have a option to save it both format 4:3 and 16:9. (when i watching in normal Tv i can choose 4:3 and while i watching on LCD i can use 16:9 (with option of 480p,720p and 1080p)
    4. burn them into dvd through iso or copy the convert file.

which software supports this.

cheetah dvd burner is plain.
    does convertXtoDVD program supports this?
    if not which program does.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you could use ConvertXtoDVD to do this. No, it won't automate the process for you.

I assume by your request that you want the 4:3 version to crop off the ends and so fill the screen, while the 16:9 version will crop off the tops to fill the screen, depending on the source material.

If you want two versions of each video then you will have to add the same video twice, and in one go into the cropping settings to crop for 4:3, and on the other, crop for 16:9. ConvertXtoDVD (and most other tools) will automatically do 4:3 and 4:3 and wider material as 16:9.

Personally, I would just do square as 4:3, wide as 16:9, and let the TVs sort out the display - that is what they do. I don't understand why the screen has to be filled with image at the expense of cropping off part of the image - you don't win, you lose.

DVD only supports SD, so no 720 or 1080 for you.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank yo ufor your reply i did understand the basic, i was hoping that i dont have to same movie 2 times, and if they isnt any way well i guess have to choose from one screen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you must fill the screen with image then you other choice is to do a 4:3 version of the disc, and a 16:9 version of the disc. At least that way you don't waste half a disc duplicating content, and you can leave the 4:3 disc with the 4:3 TV, and the 16:9 disc with the widescreen TV.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can you explain how? through convertxtodvd or which program to use.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Just encode it as 16:9 and afterwards have PGCEdit change the Domain Stream Attributes to Wide and Automatic Pan & Scan. The video will fill the screen of a widescreen TV set and crop the sides for a 'fullscreen' TV set. That way you only encode once. It's a real dumb idea though, if you ask me:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AutoPS.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	3507  

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks!!!

maybe u right but i am doing the movie for my child so he would stop watching on computer
    Quote Quote  
  8. IMO, if really your child wants to watch the DVD in pan & scan, it is better to tick both boxes in the Domain Stream Attributes dialogue (tick automatic pan & scan AND letterbox), and change the setup of your standalone player to prefer pan & scan. (When the two p&s and letterbox flags are sets, it's the player that decides which mode to use.) That way, you will still be able to enjoy the movie in its original form if you play it with another player or if you change the setup of the player again.
    Of course, if you watch it on a 16:9 TV, it will be shown in 16:9 anyway.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote