VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a question regarding how to hardsub. I am converting my MKV files to MPEG-2 format prior to hardsubbing as was recommended. I was also recommended to try hardsubbing using VSfilter (so I can keep my styling and positioning of subtitles), but I can't figure out how to use it? Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't appear to be a program you open to run it. Do I need another program to work alongside VSfilter? How do I use it? I'm seeing things being mentioned about the VsFilter.dll file, but I don't know if any of them pertain to me since I'm working with MPEG-2 format. SO, how do I use VSfilter to hardsub my .ass text onto the video? I used Subtitle Workshop for editing and positioning and it appears to have the styling already included in the .ass file. Other than that I couldn't find any advice on how to work with my MPEG-2 file.

I was also recommended to use a tag on my subtitles to help prevent mosquito noise. Do I include this tag to each individual subtitle?

I'm so lost and any help would be great!
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    There are three ways, the first one is via Avisynth,

http://avisynth.org.ru/docs/english/externalfilters/vsfilter.htm

the second one is via VirtualDub (rename VSFilter.dll to VSFilter.vdf) + an external encoder,

the third one is via an application that supports DirectShow input (e.g., ye olde TMPGenc Plus) ---

--- i.e., after installing VSFilter as a DirectShow filter, place moviename.mkv and moviename.ass in the same folder,
    and then open the MKV file in the video converter.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay. I couldn't figure out the avisynth method, so I'll try the next one. So, basically I need to have VirtualDub and Vsfilter on my computer. I'll need to find the file named VSFilter.dll and rename it to VSFilter.vdf) and then use an external encoder? Where could I find one? Any recommendations? And after all this, I can author and burn it to DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    DarrellS is the VirtualDub guru in this forum , but while he doesn't chime in,

you could take a look at http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=18840

For MPEG-2 encoding from VirtualDub, you won't have many choices besides ffmpeg and Mencoder : - /

Authoring DVD-Video a different story though, and you must begin by creating standard-compliant streams,

https://www.videohelp.com/dvd
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 4th Aug 2014 at 19:28. Reason: vBulletin is sucking
    Quote Quote  
  5. And after all this, I can author and burn it to DVD?
    Is this your end goal?

Write a .avs script like:

Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth_258\plugins\vsfilter.dll")
    DirectShowSource("C:\v\aa.mkv")
    TextSub("C:\v\aa.ass")
    Start a new project in DVDStyler. Drag-drop the .avs file to the title manager area at the bottom of the screen. Make an .iso image to test.

(Actually I use a renamed version of xy-VSfilter.dll as vsfilter.dll)
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!