VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have installed FfmegX and the binaries. I select a source file and a target format and click encode and nothing happens except a spinning beach ball. I have tried different file types as source and different formats to output to but nothing seems to work.I'm running it on OS 10.3.9. Not a whole lot of info but I really don't know what else pertains to this issue.
    Thank You for your help in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You've provided essentially no information other than "I tried stuff, and it didn't work." To help us help you, please post the contents of the logfile (blue "i" in the Progress pane).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately there really is no more information. There is no log file. I do not get a progress plane. When I click encode FfmpegX freezes. Application not responding. I have to force quit. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Deleted and downloaded the binaries again, rebooted and still the same. My startup disk does not have spaces or special characters in its name. I successfully installed and ran version 0.0.9k but I would like to be able to encode for PSP.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you can't get a good install of ffmpegx, then that's a different thing. Since you've already used ffmpegx before, I will assume that you know how to download the binaries correctly and run the software. So, a likely problem is that you have a bad sector or so on your hard drive. Before going much further, it's probably a good idea to run your favorite disk-checking utility. Apple's is a good start (since it's already there), but if you have more industrial-strength tools, using those is not a bad idea. I'm willing to bet that you will find a disk problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The SBOD means something like: the computer is far to busy, to do what you've asked directly. Possibly this involves another program that is running. Like two apps wanting more that their share of CPU cycles. So, do you get the SBOD with ffmpegX if you have no other apps running? If it happens only when a specific secondary app is running, then that is likely where you have to make your tweaks.
    E.g. some webpages can have scripts to make sure you see their ads, that end up using most of the CPU percentage. You'll have to verify that by testing without a browser running.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same problem as painofmind. I'm trying to convert .mod files from a Panasonic SDR-S7 to Quicktime (or any other editable format) using ffmpegx on Mac OS X 10.3.9. Even with no other apps running I get the spinning ball. If I hit PLAY, mplayer launches then quits.
    I had an old trial copy of VirtualHub which worked fine up to the 2 minute limit, but they're no longer distributing the unrestricted licence. Toast 6 will import the .mod files and export to DV, but I have no control over settings and the aspect ratio is altered.
    Am I likely to get ffmpegx to work, or do I have to get OS 10.5 and Toast 9? (or would iMovie 08 do it?)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Aspro
    I'm trying to convert .mod files from a Panasonic SDR-S7.
    IIRC, those .mod files are essentially MPEG files. Try renaming one to xxx.mpg, see if ffmpegX handles it better that way.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try renaming one to xxx.mpg
    Thanks Case, but I tried renaming as .mpg with still no action. Now I've just installed ffmpegx on a MacBook with 2 GHz Intel & OS 10.4.11 and it works! So maybe the issue is about the OS or CPU (I was on a PowerPC & 10.3.9 before). Whatever, I can get on now!
    Quote Quote