VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have several .m2ts (single stream) movies which some of them have hardcoded foreign dialoque subs. I have muxed the m2ts videos to mkv with SDH subs and have noticed that the foreign parts are overlapped with the hardcoded ones.

Question: Is anyone aware of software or ? to either locate or extract the hardcoded sub in the m2ts/mkv (without watching entire video) so I can edit/remove the foreign parts from SDH soft subs?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hardcoded subtitles are subtitles encoded into the video data itself, becoming a part of the picture/video data, as opposed to "soft" subtitles that can be switched on or off. They can't be extracted from the video. OCR programs will only attempt to read the text and copy it to a different file. You can attempt to crop out or remove (rather, mask) the subtitles, but since you've lost whatever part of the video was underneath the hardcoded subs, the attempt will probably just make things look much worse.

Are you sure you're working with hardcoded subs, and not just more than one soft subtitle stream? If you're not sure, run the videos through MediaInfo, in tree/text mode, and see what it tells you about them.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I'm 100% sure they're hardcoded. As for cropping/masking, this is not an option due to 1,78:1 A/R on all videos and unfortunately, no "foreign parts only" subs available from all the top sites.

Sounds like I need to re-watch these and edit the external .srt as foreign dialogue is presented.

Thanks for the response
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, if you know the colour of the subs it should be possible to write an AVISynth script that searches for them and outputs the frame numbers, from there you could write a program or script that runs through the srt and removes the matching lines. Of course if the subtitles are white that could prove problematic. Ultimately the attempt may prove more trouble then it's worth.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!