VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!

Basically, I'm trying to record from my xbox360 straight to dvd using a dvd recorder . The problem is that the signal going into the dvd recorder is NTSC (actually my 360 calls it PAL-60... maybe that's not proper ntsc). When the dvd player is in pal mode, I get mostly black and white with random, contained splashes of colour. And when in ntsc mode it is a horrible shade of green.

Following some advice in another thread (on a slightly different subject) I have switched display modes before inserting my blank dvd (so that it is formatted in either pal or ntsc). This didn't work, even when switching back to pal to re-watch after recording.

The most puzzling thing about this is that when the dvd recorder is in stand-by mode, the signal still goes through the machine, out into my tv and comes out in beautiful, full colour. Then, as soon as I switch the recorder on, it reverts to horribleness.

I'm assuming (hoping), because of that last point, that there is some way to get around this without having to buy extra equipment.

Any and all help would be hugely appreciated.

Oh yeah, forgot to say, I'm currently without a capture card and I read that even if I had one it's unlikely it would support PAL-60. I have captured lots of stuff from my 360 in the past (via dvd) but that was always in PAL-50.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Pal-60 is something of a combination of NTSC and PAL. It's hard to find a device that will capture that properly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it's possible my dvd recorder just won't do it then? Any idea why it displays fine when in stand-by mode?

thanks for the quick reply
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In standby mode it simply passes through whatever is sent ot it. It doesn't really look to carefully at it.

I know some pioneers can record PAL-60, but you have to dig around in the menus and tell it what the source is going to be before recording.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cool, thanks for the help anyway

I'm going to have to get myself a good capture card instead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Be aware, many capture cards don't like PAL60 either.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, I've heard about this, thanks for the heads up.

I see loads of youtube vids saying 'how to capture pal-60 on any capture card' etc. What's the deal with this?

EDIT: I don't mean 'explain in detail how to do it' lol. I just mean, is it something that works?
    Quote Quote