VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. i am not a newbie but i am still learning, i want to ask that is there any way to increase the bitrate of video, are there any tools or plugins, which i can use in avisynth, i heard that MVTOOLS plugin can increase bitrate by proper use, i read about MVTOOLS in its scite, but i am unable to understand, can anybody help

ok sorry forgot the reason,

the reason:- in my region the length of the movies are 2:50+. i allways encode a movie to a file size 900 mb. i dont want to increase my file size further, but i am ready to decrease the resolution. but some times i do not get the proper quality which i want, thats why i want to increase the bitrate with some tweaks(if possible) through avisynth.

i think i must be clear because i am getting wired replies(i am not blaming anyone), but its my mistake that i am not clear in my question. so ok here is what i do

1) As i said i am from a region(country) where our movies are 2 hour 50 miutes+.

2)The dvd's are highly and badly interlaced. so its very hard to maintain the quality after de-interlacing, because what ever i do after de-interlacing i still find artifacts, the video is not very smooth as it should be.

3) I use GordianKnot(not AUTOGK) to encode my dvd movies, and i use XVID codec for encoding because its compatible with divx dvd player(so that i can watch on my TV set). i use gordian knot because its gives very nice GUI and info about various things like BITS\PIXEL values, and nice resolution details.and bitrate with repect to the file size.

4) I am encoding my xvid video file to a size of 900 mb.i dont want to increase my file size, i know by increasing my file size i will increase my bitrate.

5)well we know how the encoding is done , first i create the D2v file with DGINDEX of my dvd vob files,
    then this d2v file is opened in gordianknot, here desired file size is selected, then the resloution,etc. then
    at last all these is saved in avs script file, which is used for encoding.

Here in this avs script i want to increase my bitrate by some tweaks(if possible) by using some tools or plugins of avisynth,(which i was asking that can mvtools be used for increasing bitrate).

6)Then my final output encoded file is obtained by two pass encoding in xvid.

I want to increase the bitrate of the video before encoding to xvid (which is in between my 5th and 6th stage of my explanation)
    Last edited by avengerevenge; 9th Jul 2010 at 08:55. Reason: good explanation
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why are you looking to do this?

You can reencode with a higher bitrate but i dont see any reason to do so, it's not going to magic up more quality by increasing the bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You just reencode the video with a higher bitrate. But, as was pointed out, it's not going to get any better, just bigger.

Take a nice flat shiny sheet of aluminum foil with no wrinkles. Squish it down to a 1 inch diameter ball (compress it). Now open it up to a flat sheet again (decompress it). It's all wrinkly now (compression artifacts). Squish it again, but this time make a 2 inch diameter ball (recompress with a higher bitrate). Open it up again. It still has all the wrinkles from the first compression, plus a bunch of new ones. The second compression has added more wrinkles, not made the earlier ones disappear.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by avengerevenge View Post
    i am not a newbie but i am still learning, i want to ask that is there any way to increase the bitrate of video, are there any tools or plugins, which i can use in avisynth, i heard that MVTOOLS plugin can increase bitrate by proper use, i read about MVTOOLS in its scite, but i am unable to understand, can anybody help
    You may mean increase the resolution, or upscale.
    You can use LanczosResize, and then perhaps various filters to remove blockiness or sharpen.
    LSFmod does smoothing, sharpening and resizing all at once.

MVtools can be used to increase the framerate, by interpolating new frames between the original ones.

These filters are all processor intensive and thus slow.
    Last edited by AlanHK; 9th Jul 2010 at 07:13.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You just reencode the video with a higher bitrate. But, as was pointed out, it's not going to get any better, just bigger.

Take a nice flat shiny sheet of aluminum foil with no wrinkles. Squish it down to a 1 inch diameter ball (compress it). Now open it up to a flat sheet again (decompress it). It's all wrinkly now (compression artifacts). Squish it again, but this time make a 2 inch diameter ball (recompress with a higher bitrate). Open it up again. It still has all the wrinkles from the first compression, plus a bunch of new ones. The second compression has added more wrinkles, not made the earlier ones disappear.
    ok sorry forgot the reason,

the reason:- in my region the length of the movies are 2:50+. i allways encode a movie to a file size 900 mb. i dont want to increase my file size further, but i am ready to decrease the resolution. but some times i do not get the proper quality which i want, thats why i want to increase the bitrate with some tweaks(if possible) through avisynth.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

You appear to be confused. Higher bitrate means larger filesize.
    It's just filesize divided by time.

Maybe you mean higher quality.
    That's a very complex question, depends on the source and what kind of file you are making.
    Quote Quote  
  7. file size = bitrate * running time

So, for a given running time, the bitrate determines how big the file is going to be. If you have a 900 MB file at 500 kbps, increasing the bitrate to 1000 kbps will give you a 1800 MB file (assuming no audio).

Using 900 MB for every file is rather arbitrary. Why don't you use constant quality encoding instead. That way each file will get exactly the bitrate needed to deliver the quality you want, regardless of the nature of the video. And you can encode in a single pass saving a lot of time.
    Last edited by jagabo; 9th Jul 2010 at 07:47.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post

You appear to be confused. Higher bitrate means larger filesize.
    It's just filesize divided by time.

Maybe you mean higher quality.
    That's a very complex question, depends on the source and what kind of file you are making.

Ya i want to increase the bitrate to increase quality dude.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have a video that has already been encoded at a low bitrate then the damage has been done. That data you require to get higher quality is gone. Increasing the bitrate won't bring it back. If you re-encode the original source using a higher bitrate than the first attempt, you will (in most cases) get a better quality result. But simply taking a video and encoding it at a higher bitrate will not increase the quality, and can decrease the quality further simply because of the re-encoding.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If I may interject, I presume that what the other poster wants is to re-encode a source movie(eg 720x576) at a lower resolution (640x480) thus increasing the bits per pixel (AKA bitrate) thus, in his eyes, increasing the quality. hrugs:

can I go back to eating crisps & apple snack now?
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

That will increase the filesize.

You DO NOT want to increase the bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post

That will increase the filesize.

You DO NOT want to increase the bitrate.
    i think i must be clear because i am getting wired replies(i am not blaming anyone), but its my mistake that i am not clear in my question. so ok here is what i do

1) As i said i am from a region(country) where our movies are 2 hour 50 miutes+.

2)The dvd's are highly and badly interlaced. so its very hard to maintain the quality after de-interlacing, because what ever i do after de-interlacing i still find artifacts, the video is not very smooth as it should be.

3) I use GordianKnot(not AUTOGK) to encode my dvd movies, and i use XVID codec for encoding because its compatible with divx dvd player(so that i can watch on my TV set). i use gordian knot because its gives very nice GUI and info about various things like BITS\PIXEL values, and nice resolution details.and bitrate with repect to the file size.

4) I am encoding my xvid video file to a size of 900 mb.i dont want to increase my file size, i know by increasing my file size i will increase my bitrate.

5)well we know how the encoding is done , first i create the D2v file with DGINDEX of my dvd vob files,
    then this d2v file is opened in gordianknot, here desired file size is selected, then the resloution,etc. then
    at last all these is saved in avs script file, which is used for encoding.

Here in this avs script i want to increase my bitrate by some tweaks(if possible) by using some tools or plugins of avisynth,(which i was asking that can mvtools be used for increasing bitrate).

I want to increase the bitrate of the video before encoding to xvid (which is in between my 5th and 6th stage of my explanation)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by RabidDog View Post
    If I may interject, I presume that what the other poster wants is to re-encode a source movie(eg 720x576) at a lower resolution (640x480) thus increasing the bits per pixel (AKA bitrate) thus, in his eyes, increasing the quality. hrugs:

can I go back to eating crisps & apple snack now?
    ya you are right thats what i think.
    Quote Quote  
  14. There maybe a language barrier here

He edited his original post; it looks like he is looking for selective filtering techniques to improve the subjective quality (e.g. better preprocessing, better deinterlacing, denoising to lower bitrate requirements etc...)

@avengerevenge : Post a native unprocessed sample, and your current avs script, and describe EXACTLY what you want to improve
    Quote Quote  
  15. Yeah, why not reduce the frame size to 64x48 pixels. Then you can save uncompressed and have "great quality".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Very clear except you are still MISUSING THE TERM "BITRATE".

An AVS file is a virtual file; it has no size at all in any sense you can measure.
    It read a source file and passes it through filters and outputs it as a stream.
    How you process that stream, compressed into a video file, or output to a screen, will determine the file size and thus bitrate.

So assuming you actually want to get a better quality in the same filesize (and thus the SAME BITRATE), you should look at denoising the video, and there are lots of Avisynth filters to do that.

Removing grain, and fuzz of various kinds simplifies the image and so means more bits are used for the desired detail that is left, not the noise.

What is the source? If a crummy analog TV recording, or a scratched up old movie, there is probably a lot that can be done. If it's from a pure digital source, then you will have to choose what kind of "real" detail you want to keep, and which to lose.
    Quote Quote  
  17. You're from India. Your DVDs suck. To give advice on improving the quality of your encodes we'll need both the script you're using and an unprocessed 10 second sample of the source, one showing movement. The greatest improvement you can make is to understand what you have and how to deal with it. Many of us work with Indian DVDs (why the secrecy?), and dealing with the worst DVDs in the world requires some skill, skill which you apparently don't possess yet. Just throwing bits at these things won't solve your problems.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    You're from India. Your DVDs suck. To give advice on improving the quality of your encodes we'll need both the script you're using and an unprocessed 10 second sample of the source, one showing movement. The greatest improvement you can make is to understand what you have and how to deal with it. Many of us work with Indian DVDs (why the secrecy?), and dealing with the worst DVDs in the world requires some skill, skill which you apparently don't possess yet. Just throwing bits at these things won't solve your problems.
    i meant no secrecy man, i thought u did not know how badly interlaced dvd's are released in some of the states of our country,
    and i belong to one of the state,

i will soon post the sample, when i start on my next encode, thanx for your reply
    Quote Quote  
  19. hi all

i just wanna know whats best settings for MeGUI ? or whats best x264 profile ? someone says that HQ-Slow in best . but i didnt get good results ? can anyone suggest some good profile or settings?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by NA3R View Post
    i just wanna know whats best settings for MeGUI ?
    x264: Unrestricted 1-pass Lossless
    Quote Quote  
  21. x264: Unrestricted 1-pass Lossless
    Are You sure ?

but i saw in some websites that it should be 2pass !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NA3R View Post
    x264: Unrestricted 1-pass Lossless
    Are You sure ?

but i saw in some websites that it should be 2pass !

Depends what you mean by "Best".
    Best quality?
    Best speed?
    Best (smallest) size?
    etc.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Use two pass encoding when you need a specific file size. You get the size you specify but you don't know what the quality will be.

Use quality based encoding (CRF, CQP, lossless, in x264) when you want a particular quality. You get the quality you specify but you don't know what the size will be.

Single pass lossless in x264 is lossless (assuming a YV12 source). The output file is exactly the same quality as what you give it. You don't get much compression though.
    Quote Quote  
  24. thanks . i checked them . 2pass in great . but i got al lot of 2pass profiles .

i wanna know which profile gives me the best bitrate at smallest size .

(encoding speed is not important)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

best bitrate at smallest size?

You misunderstand some terms somewhere.

FILESIZE = DURATION * BITRATE

So 'best bitrate' is a term that could only be decided on by knowing the filesize you want. You could then do:

FILESIZE WANTED / DURATION = BITRATE

to give you the bitrate you would need.

As said before if you just want best quality but dont care about bitrate(filesize) then use on of the lossless options.

If you need a certain filesize but you want the best quality picture then what you need to be looking at is options that get most out of your given bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by NA3R View Post
    File size is directly proportional to bitrate. Low bitrates make small files. High bitrates make large files. So your question makes no sense.

I suppose what you really meant to ask was which profile will give you the best quality with the smallest file size. That's always a compromise of bitrate, encoding time, playback restrictions (for example Blu-ray players do not support all h.264 capabilities), and quality. There is no single answer. You have to run some tests on the material you want to encode and decide what is appropriate for you. And keep in mind that two different videos encoded with the same profile at the same bitrate may deliver very different visual qualities.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks . i checked them . 2pass in great . but i got al lot of 2pass profiles .

(encoding speed is not important)

YOUR QUESTION

MAKES NO SENSE.

You've been told at least six times that you are misusing the terms.

Maybe someone more patient will try to work out what the hell you actually mean. But I give up.
    Quote Quote  
  28. ok . sorry guys . i got my answer .

i couldn't express my answer as well as it should be because of my bad english . anyway Thanks a lot

------

File size is directly proportional to bitrate. Low bitrates make small files. High bitrates make large files. So your question makes no sense.

I suppose what you really meant to ask was which profile will give you the best quality with the smallest file size. That's always a compromise of bitrate, encoding time, playback restrictions (for example Blu-ray players do not support all h.264 capabilities), and quality. There is no single answer. You have to run some tests on the material you want to encode and decide what is appropriate for you. And keep in mind that two different videos encoded with the same profile at the same bitrate may deliver very different visual qualities.
    yeah i checked some profiles and i realized that "HQ-slowest" is the best one.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Geez, Alan sweetie ease up! You're always giving up on people here! I remember when you gave up on me. But I didn't. And now, i'm an Avisynth Superstar!
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM

starting with the vobs, increasing bitrate will increase quality and size of your finished video
    decreaseing resolution will Decrease quality, what good is a sharp image if its only 320*240?
    or other small size

900mb is very nice for 60 minutes / 1 hr of television
    it pretty bad for a 3 hr movie, aka 170 minutes

i would not compress a movie that long to less than 2gb aka 650 mb per hr

you can Not expect quality at 900mb for 170 minutes of video

you can juggle and adjust bitrate all you want until dooms day, but you won't improve quality without increasing file size
    Quote Quote