VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have burnt a few singal layer disk useing dvdshrink and dvdecrypter. In all cases the video turned out good except for abount the last 20 minutes of a movie when I get various degrees of pixel bloches jider and freezeing.
    I strongly suspect it is either the media I am useing or my rom drive is not tracking properly. I am fairly new at this
    so whould just appreceate some feed back on this issue.

Regards Ron
    Quote Quote  
  2. What you describe matches exactly a textbook case of *Bad Media*.

Get the manufacturer identifier (M.I.D.) and post it here. Not the brand, which is meaningless. Load a blank, open ImgBurn, and it'll tell you the M.I.D. in the info pane upper right.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using sony 16D1 media with mixed results. I thought it might be a better idea to burn to dual layer disk and was wondering if there is burnning software where you can control where your burn switches layers. This way you could avoid useing the outer edges of the disk.

Regards Ron
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sony media sold in North America is a mixed bag with some being very good and some being very bad, depending on who made it for Sony. If you want to use dual layer media, use only Verbatim DVD+R DL discs or you will be wasting your money and time. For single layer discs we generally recommend Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden as the only consistently reliable media available in the North American marketplace.

It is possible to set the layer break yourself , but this is an advanced topic and it's done at the authoring stage. ImgBurn will let you specify the layer break to use, but I'd think that this would be somewhat risky unless you are really sure about what you are doing. I am unsure of the result if your DVD has a specific layer break and you tell ImgBurn (or some other program) to use something else. If you just use better media you won't have this infamous "edge" issue. I've never had it happen to me and I use only Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freewave
    Using sony 16D1 media with mixed results.
    Okay, which one?

Sony branded, made in Taiwan by Daxon = good
    Sony branded, made in Malaysia by Daxon = not very good
    Other brands (GQ, for example), made in Taiwan by LeadData = not very good
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies I think I will try some verbatim blanks. As for useing dual layer disk I just thought it would be a good way to avoid useing the edges.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I think your last comment points to the problem. Did you overburn? if you do when it gets close to that not every player or drive can read it and it will flicker ....
    Also use image burn it is the best burning software and it is free, just drag and drop files or folder into the window and it burns.
    Quote Quote