VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ---------------
    Last edited by minegroasprilla; 18th Dec 2013 at 15:28.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Preamble: what exactly don't you "like" about its codecs?

Step 1: uninstall K-Lite Codec pack and any other crap 3rd party non microsoft codecs/filters. They're unnecessary hacker shite. K-lite is well known to cause conflicts, and there are much worse.

Step 2: use media software that uses its own internal codecs that work properly with directx/directshow. Like, in my decreasing order of preference, SMplayer, VLC, and, yes, PotPlayer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ... and if for some unexplainable reason you still insist to use that "unnecessary hacker shite" you should look in :
    Preferences=>Filter Control. K-Lite I guess comes with Haali which should be set as splitter and decoders might be set to system default (I'm sure that "unnecessary hacker shite" is set to highest merit)...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Personally I don't install codec packs. They often install a bunch of stuff you don't actually need. K-Lite includes ffdhow which will by itself decode most of the audio and video formats you'll probably ever want. I install ffdshow on it's own.

While I don't install codec packs don't listen to nonsense about non-microsoft codecs/filters being crap and hacker shite. It's an obvious load of nonsense. The only thing which could be labelled as shite is the merit system Windows uses to determine which codecs will be used when decoding audio or video etc. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the codecs themselves http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectShow#Codec_hell.
    People have been installing additional codecs on their PCs for many years and will continue to do so. Why wouldn't you? If the choice is using whatever codec Microsoft decides is good for you or using something like ffdshow which lets you include all sorts of filtering on playback... well I always use ffdshow for audio decoding for that very reason.... to run a compressor plugin.
    The idea of a codec pack, if it does it's job properly, would be to avoid the codec conflicts installing multiple codecs can cause.

Anyway, open preferences and under filter control you can set each audio and video type to use either the built in decoder or the system default. The latter should get Potplayer to use whichever codec K-Lite installed for the file type.
    Quote Quote