VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all

I'm on a mac and I've produced a campaign of animations for large digital signage. Most of them accept MOVs, but one requests WMV at 394 x 586.

Whilst the master quicktime file plays fine at 394 x 586, trying to exporting to WMV at that size is proving impossible as the resolution is not a multiple of 4.

Every conversion application I've tried either changes the size or throws an error. This includes Flip4Mac with Quicktime Pro, Wondershare Video Convertor and numerous other apps.

Does anyone know of any way, preferably on mac, but not essential, to export from Quicktime to WMV at 394 x 586 - which is not a multiple of 4 ?

Hope someone can help.

Andy
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can try ffmpeg with a command line something like this:

-i input.mov -vcodec wmv2 -acodec wmav2 -b:v 1000k -b:a 160k -r 25 -ac 2 -aspect 394:586 -filter:v scale=394:586 output.wmv

Download link for ffmpeg here: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffmpeg

While ffmpeg itself is cross-platform, I'm not sure there are any mac guis.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think you ought to have a further talk with the one client requesting that spec. AFAIK, WMV doesn't support MOD2, so that wouldn't be a valid resolution. For the app, for you, for them, for the display, for anybody.

Just find out what brand/model the digital sign that the client has, and then output "per the display's spec" rather than "per the client". Clients have been known on a few occasions to err.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've spoken with the signage company who have these specs and they sent me a bunch of WMVs which were supplied at 394 x 586. So WMVs have been generated at this size (but I don't know who created them) - I really want to find out how it was done.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ffmpeg encodes fine. The WMV9 vbscript encodes fine as well, even though it (apparently) wasn't supposed to ---
    --- it returns a misleading and useless error message anyway

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.avs -an -vcodec wmv2 -qmin 2 -qmax 2 -r 25 output.asf
    filename.ASF <= created thru ffmpeg
    filename.WMV <= created thru Windows Media Encoder 9
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 5th Sep 2014 at 11:55.
    Quote Quote  
  6. FWIW, I also tested my sample command line before posting. It definitely works.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. If anyone on mac is interested, I've found that Mobile Media Convertor gets the job done perfectly.

http://www.miksoft.net/mobileMediaConverter.php
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!