VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have a movie on dvd with subtitles missing. A friend also has this movie, but poor quality, with subtitles. Is it possible to add his subtitles to my movie easily?
    many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It sure is possible. See the guide here, but note that you'll have to get the subtitles from his DVD first or find them online and download before you start. This guide is only on how to add subtitles you already have to an existing DVD and keep the menus.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/277950-How-to-add-new-subtitles-to-an-existing-DVD

If you need to rip the subs from his DVD then you can search our Guides section on how to do that.

I've used that method before and it works fine, but is it "easy"...? Well, it depends on your level of understanding, video knowledge and general technical skills.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the info. It doesn't appear to be a simple process. Are subtitles a part of the VOB files as a separate video track?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by resloan1 View Post
    Are subtitles a part of the VOB files as a separate video track?
    Yes, the subs are found in the VOBs. Some of the information about them is found in the IFOs. They aren't video files or a video track, but individual image or picture files.

You didn't give the format of your friend's movie version, if it's a DVD or something else. Then you have to hope his version is the same as yours - same length, same number of frames - or the subs, when added to your DVD, won't synch up. If it's a well-known film, you may be able to find the subs online, without having to use his at all.
    Quote Quote