VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This morning my usual methods of downloading youtube videos stopped working - Real Player Plus just says "unable to download". Been using that convenient method for over a year.

Then I tried keepvid.com (with two different browsers). Keepvid gives this message:

This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the webpage. For more information about HTTP errors, see Help.

I did find *one* video that Real Player Plus could download, it was a movie trailer.

Can others verify something has changed? I have other ways to get youtube videos, but not as convenient and simple. Even if this problem resolves itself, I suspect youtube is experimenting with ways to make downloading difficult.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...-youtube-video

That's not the same issue. That thread was referring to blocked or rtmpe encrypted videos. You'll notice that I was even part of that thread.

What happened this morning appears to apply to almost all youtube videos.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Did you try another browser?

Everything seems to work ok here. They are still progressively downloaded into temp internet directory. You don't even need a special program to get them.

Maybe it's only specific videos?

Can you give an example of one that is giving your problems?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Basically, any video below won't load via the two most common methods I used to use (Real Player Plus and keepvid.com). Try keepvid.com on those below.

PS, no need for anyone to tell me something that does work. I've found a couple of things that still work, but what I'm saying is that something changed with youtube today. There has to be a reason why Real Player Plus and keepvid just stopped working at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/user/teensoundman#g/u

Update: Oddly enough, I can download videos from that link above with Real Player, if I stay on that page. But if I open another page with only one of those videos, Real Player Can't download it. Neither can keepvid.com
    Last edited by tworegon; 13th Mar 2010 at 16:49.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I just checked and the files are automatically downloaded to temp internet directory. ie. Nothing has changed. , no protection, it's automatically downloaded and accessible

I don't use realplayer or keepvid, maybe something has changed with those programs
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No problem here either.
    Firefox with Firefox_Video_Downloader add-on shows up normal (download flv, mp4...) And files can be downloaded normal with just a click.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I only tried the first link, Harps - Marie, and found it in the Firefox browser cache. Download Helper was also able to download it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If Youtube made it too hard to download clips their popularity would take a dive and it would lead to their downfall.
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've think I've found the problem. Below is from the Real website. I'm using Firefox 3.6, which isn't listed as a 'supported' browser - so the update didn't work for me. Before I found this, I also found several other Firefox download add-ons that have required various fixes by the authors, because youtube makes changes, and they stop working for a while.

http://real.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7303/p/3/c/2232/r_id/166
    ================================================== =====
    Note: On March 11 we became aware of a recent change made by YouTube that affects the functionality of Download This Video on some browsers. We have now resolved this issue. Please download the latest version of RealPlayer from www.real.com to obtain the corrected build.
    The supported web browsers for Download This Video are:
    • Internet Explorer 6, 7, and 8
    • Firefox 2, 3, and 3.5*
    • Google Chrome*
    • Macintosh: Safari and Firefox (Mac users, click here)
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have a similar problem. However, I'm on a Mac(G4) non-Intel. I use Mpeg Streamclip religiously to convert video files from YouTube and Internet. Never a problem. Today, all YouTube clips get a "File Error: Can't Open File" message. I'm still able to open videos with Streamclip from Internet Archive. So, that must mean the problem is not with Streamclip.

I tried several different freewares for Mac: TubeTV, iSkySoft, etc. Same problem. I get "Download Failed" messages.

I'm assuming something has been changed by YouTube. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Can you recommend a way around this? I need to be able to download YouTube videos.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. Since my earlier posts it looks like Adobe has updated Flash so that the temp files are marked for exclusive access. They can no longer be copied from the cache to another location by another process. And they are deleted as soon as you stop watching the video. Firefox + DownloadHelper can still download the videos though.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I keep getting the warning from YouTube that my version of Firefox is no longer supported. However, things still seem to work fine, and I am still able to copy the temp files. I will not be upgrading Firefox until more is known.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by tomwil View Post
    I keep getting the warning from YouTube that my version of Firefox is no longer supported.
    What version do you have?
    Quote Quote  
  14. YouTube wants everyone to work for them for FREE, upload nice Quality videos so millions of people can watch and they can serve millions of paid advertisement along with videos and generates the million dollar revenue to them.

Actually, we are the people make them filthy billionaire!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can't believe you are using real player.
    Quote Quote