VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently copied a PAL VHS for a friend, onto a DVD, using a LG Combi VHS/DVD recorder. (The original content had been copied to VHS from a Cine film)

My friend has asked if I could make a copy that she could send to her daughter in America (NTSC).

I have tried using several tools to make the conversion, but they either put a watermark on the film, or limit the output to just a few minutes.

Therefore, I am considering a different tack, to convert the files to a PC format. Is there such a thing as a format that will play on any PC or Mac, anywhere in the world, without having to install either additional players or codecs?

The DVD files are in a folder called, Video_TS, and the files seem to have a .vob extension.

I copied two films onto the DVD, one was about 20 minutes, the other aboout 45.

Any help for this very confused Newbie would be welcome
    Allan
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can convert it to MPEG-1 which will work on any PC.I would use DVDFlick to make a DVD but first you have to use VOB2MPG to convert.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    have her send a pal copy of the dvd to the daughter. it will play on a computer with a media player. it may also play in her standalone, as many ntsc dvd players will convert pal to ntsc.

you could try convertxtodvd as there is an old free version in the tools section you may be able to set to output ntsc.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The old free version of ConvertXtoDVD does a crappy job of converting PA to NTSC because it creates duplicate frames and a jerky result. DVD Flick has the same problem, although I believe the beta version uses the Pulldown method to convert correctly. FAVC already does this, and would be my first choice in this instance.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    You can convert it to MPEG-1 which will work on any PC.I would use DVDFlick to make a DVD but first you have to use VOB2MPG to convert.
    I used the VOB2MPG program, but there is no sound to the resulting MPEG. There does not seem to be separate sound files on the original DVD, so I assume they are encoded as part of the VOB files, rather than added later by DVDFlick.

Thanks for the help so far,
    Allan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect you need an AC3 codec for you to hear it. Open the file in g-spot to confirm that there is an audio track
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    I suspect you need an AC3 codec for you to hear it. Open the file in g-spot to confirm that there is an audio track
    Sorry this has taken so long to reply to.

I downloaded the GSpot program, it confirmed there was an audio track and the codecs were installed.
    But a general scan for the list of all codecs and filters reports the following line:
    ACM Base msacm.ulmp3acm ** Missing file: ulmp3acm.acm
    which could be the source of the 'no sound' problem.
    Is there a simple way to rectify this?
    Any help appreciated
    Allan
    The original post is below, should anyone require additional info.

I recently copied a PAL VHS for a friend, onto a DVD, using a LG Combi VHS/DVD recorder. (The original content had been copied to VHS from a Cine film)

My friend has asked if I could make a copy that she could send to her daughter in America (NTSC).

I have tried using several tools to make the conversion, but they either put a watermark on the film, or limit the output to just a few minutes.

Therefore, I am considering a different tack, to convert the files to a PC format. Is there such a thing as a format that will play on any PC or Mac, anywhere in the world, without having to install either additional players or codecs?

The DVD files are in a folder called, Video_TS, and the files seem to have a .vob extension.

Allan
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry this has taken so long to reply to.

I downloaded the GSpot program, it confirmed there was an audio track and the codecs were installed.
    But a general scan for the list of all codecs and filters reports the following line:
    ACM Base msacm.ulmp3acm ** Missing file: ulmp3acm.acm
    which could be the source of the 'no sound' problem.
    Is there a simple way to rectify this?
    Any help appreciated
    Allan
    The original post is below, should anyone require additional info.

Allan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try installing the AC3 ACM Decompressor
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try installing the AC3 ACM Decompressor
    I tried this, still no sound, is it possible that when I used VOB2 MPG I got a setting wrong which just recorded a 'blank' soundtrack.

Thanks for your help so far
    Allan
    Quote Quote  
  11. ...is it possible that when I used VOB2 MPG I got a setting wrong which just recorded a 'blank' soundtrack.
    No.

Perhaps install the AC3 Filter.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The old free version of ConvertXtoDVD does a crappy job of converting PA to NTSC because it creates duplicate frames and a jerky result. DVD Flick has the same problem, although I believe the beta version uses the Pulldown method to convert correctly. FAVC already does this, and would be my first choice in this instance.
    One of you suggested trying a different media player with the 'silent' video tracks I created with VOB2MPG, when played with the VLC Media player, the sound is there.

If I use the FAVC program, do I convert directly from the original disk, (with the VOB files) or do I use the MPEGS I created with VOB2MPG?

I tried to use DVD Flick, but it wants to create file sizes which are larger than the limitations imposed by my FAT 32 hard drives. Does FAVC have this problem, if so, is there an easy way to overcome this limitation?

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far.
    Allan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should use the VIDEO_TS folder. If you do it with the MPEG file you will be encoding again and get poorer quality picture.
    FAVC should output .vob files no larger than 0.99 gig which I think is ok for FAT32, but will only convert avi's..I think.

Are you trying to author a PAL dvd from a NTSC dvd source?
    “He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.”
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FAVC converts more than just avi's.......
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thecrock
    You should use the VIDEO_TS folder. If you do it with the MPEG file you will be encoding again and get poorer quality picture.
    FAVC should output .vob files no larger than 0.99 gig which I think is ok for FAT32, but will only convert avi's..I think.

Are you trying to author a PAL dvd from a NTSC dvd source?
    I am trying to convert PAL to NTSC.

I decided to convert the MPEGS from VOB2MPG, good job I started earlier, it looks as though it will take about 2 hours to do the conversion.

As for the quality issue, the original was on Cine, and the copy looks as though someone has just projected it onto a screen and copied it with an early camcorder. So it does not look brilliant on VHS, but is of great sentimental value.

I love newsgroups, and I must admit, this is one of the best I have used.
    With thanks
    Allan
    Quote Quote