VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I looking for real-world experience of viewing 1080i HDV footage on a 1080i CRT vs. a 720p LCD in the 30 - 32" range.

Here's why:

It fundamentally bothers me that LCD displays muck around with HDV's 1080i signal in order to shoe-horn it into a progressive, small display.

I am aware that 1080i CRT displays are still available and typically cheaper than their LCD counterparts. My only comparison of CRT vs LCD is with computer displays where I much prefer the CRT. Even watching the HDV on the PC with deinterlacing (VLC bob), the CRT looks far, far better.

I'm only interested in 1080i and I really believe I should view it in the way it is intended - interlaced.

So, does anyone have any experience of watching HDV on a 1080i CRT and a 720p LCD? (For the 30 - 32" size range I'm interested in, 1080p is not really necessary).

I'm not looking for theoretical arguments about i vs p, HD-DVDs etc. Just 1080i HDV from my camcorder.

Thanks!
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not arguing one way or the other, just wanted to point out that not all TV's/LCD's are equal. Meaning it is entirely possible to view 1080i material and get different results from different hardware.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. I think you know this, but some things to note...

Computer monitors are not televisions. Color, brighness, contrast, and gamma is very different on a computer unless you calibrate the video overlay to match television's. Don't count LCD or Plasma displays out simply based on a computer LCD monitor.

Does anyone make good CRT HDTVs anymore? The lower priced ones will not have full 1920x1080 resolution on the screen because they don't have a sufficiently small dot pitch. In fact, there were very few CRT HDTVs manufactured that could come close to 1920x1080. Resolution may not be of primary importance to you though.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks.

You are right - the resolution is not the primary factor. I sit about 10 to 12 feet from the TV (currently a 27" 4:3 CRT). A 32" 720p LCD will fit into the same space.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The only 1080i CRT left that I know of is the 30" Samsuck. You might want to read the thread on that TV over at AVS before even considering buying it. They are loaded with problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dot pitch limits CRT resolution to between 800x600 to 1280x1080i except for the highest end broadcast monitors. Most consumer models will max below 960H and don't resolve individual 1080i scan lines in the V direction.

King of the hill is the $42K BVMA32E1WU
    It boasts 1000 horizontal lines of resolution for 32" (~1280x720 equiv)
    http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/DisplayModel?m=0&p=8&sp=20073&id=80823

Setting aside resolution, these monitors are highly accurate for motion response, colorimetry and linearity. This makes them great for film color correction or picture quality evaluation.

Consumer CRT models lack this precision. Some process fields as 960x540i or progressive as 720x480/576p. Very few use 1280x720p processing or even accept 720p input.

I like HD CRT as a nice SD (DV/DVD/TV) monitoring solution that also works for ~960x1080i direct observation (without deinterlace). It works nice for stepping through fields.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by edDV
    I like HD CRT as a nice SD (DV/DVD/TV) monitoring solution that also works for ~960x1080i direct observation (without deinterlace). It works nice for stepping through fields.
    Any particular one? I have read about the horror stories that samijubal mentions re. Samsung.

How does HDV look on an HD CRT compared to an HD LCD TV? Or are you refering to equipment other than consumer TV?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Any particular one? I have read about the horror stories that samijubal mentions re. Samsung.

How does HDV look on an HD CRT compared to an HD LCD TV? Or are you refering to equipment other than consumer TV?
    I've used the CRT broadcast monitors at various work sites. Back in 2003 I bought a fairly generic Philips 27PT830H for DV project monitoring and cable box HD access in my computer room. For 1080i it has two processing modes "1080i" and "progressive" which attempts deinterlace. I use 1080i except for 480p from DVD player. In 480p mode, the TV displays 720x480p pixel for pixel.

HDV looks ok on the CRT but probably is only around 800x600 effective resolution. HDV over HDMI to a 46" Samsung 4665F LCD looks stunning. As good as what you see on Discovery HD reality shows.

PS: I recently got a cheap JVC XV-N650B DVD player that does upconversion to 1080i over analog component. The unconversion results on the CRT are superior to the direct 480p connection. This TV also handles 1920x540P or 960x540p input over VGA. That works well for the computer desktop.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks - I think I can lay the whole thing to rest and go the LCD route now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I should have added that more recent HD CRT sets have digital tuners and HDMI inputs. These sets have scalers that convert everything to an internal digital resolution nnnnx1080i or progressive. That then gets D/A conversion to the CRT either by interlace or progressive scan. The best ones may process at 1440x1080i before D/A.

There aren't many new ATSC HD CRT models yet. Attention is on the cheap 640x480i native SD models currently.
    Quote Quote  
  11. There aren't new HD CRTs coming. Virtually all manufacters have abandoned HD CRTs. Most decent quality manufacters have left CRT altogether. All that's left are remaining stock and low budget brands.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by samijubal
    There aren't new HD CRTs coming. Virtually all manufacters have abandoned HD CRTs. Most decent quality manufacters have left CRT altogether. All that's left are remaining stock and low budget brands.
    Most of this remaining technology is in RPTV's (rear projection).
    I think I read somewhere that Sony is getting out of the RPTV (SXRD etc.) after the current models run their course.
    Quote Quote  
  13. It's true, in fact I think Sony has already made all the RPTVs they are going to. Still, there aren't any CRT RPTVs left either. They've been LCDs or DLPs for awhile now.
    Quote Quote