VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings everyone! I'm new here and have been stuck trying to figure this out. Several years ago, I was able to do this and now forgot how.

I would like to know how and which program to use to burn multiple AVI files with Menu onto a DVD to play on most DVD players without converting to MPEG. I have old cartoon discs which I did this on and can't do it again. I would like to to be able to put more than 3 episodes on one disc. Previously, I have been able to burn 12 to 22 episodes depending on file size and not time.

Please advise.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by ss4nemis View Post
    I would like to know how and which program to use to burn multiple AVI files with Menu onto a DVD to play on most DVD players without converting to MPEG.
    Can't be done. If you want to play it on a standard DVD player (one that doesn't also play XviD/DivX AVIs), then it has to be converted to DVD-compliant video and audio. And almost no players will play AVIs with a menu, even the ones that play AVIs otherwise. If you remember doing this in the past, either you remember incorrectly, or something wasn't as you described (maybe that DVD player also played AVIs).

Most likely you used a conversion program to create DVDs from your AVIs, one such as Avs2DVD or DVD Flick.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My PlayStation 2 and other DVD players can play these old discs. I have Dragonball anime in .avi format on these discs with like 15 episodes and a menu. I cannot find a program to create the menu for the data DVD. Looking at the disc properties... They are UDF. Does that help clarify?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ss4nemis View Post
    Does that help clarify?
    No, you said 'most' DVD players, and most won't play AVIs. Maybe you mean something like DivXMediaBuilder. But you'll need a DivX Ultra Certified player to be able to use the menus. If that's not it perhaps someone else can help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ss4nemis View Post
    My PlayStation 2 and other DVD players can play these old discs. I have Dragonball anime in .avi format on these discs with like 15 episodes and a menu. I cannot find a program to create the menu for the data DVD. Looking at the disc properties... They are UDF. Does that help clarify?
    A non-modified PS2 generally requires media player software to play anything other than normal DVD-Video discs.

What are the file/folder contents of the DVDs? If you have a VIDEO_TS (and AUDIO_TS) folder at the root of the disc, they're DVD-Video discs, not data DVDs.

You can use software like AVS2DVD, DVD Flick, FAVC, or the commercial ConvertX2DVD to create DVD-Video discs with simple menus for your episodes. If your old discs are indeed DVD-Video discs, you might have used something like Nero to create them.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I explore the example DVD, you see the following screen capture. How do I recreate that?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dragonall DVD Episodes.png
Views:	844
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	10647  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    When I explore the example DVD, you see the following screen capture. How do I recreate that?
    Already answered.
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    You can use software like AVS2DVD, DVD Flick, FAVC, or the commercial ConvertX2DVD to create DVD-Video discs with simple menus for your episodes. If your old discs are indeed DVD-Video discs, you might have used something like Nero to create them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will I be able to fit more than 3 episodes on a dsic? Sorry, I'm still a little confused.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by ss4nemis View Post
    By converting your AVIs to DVD, something you said (incorrectly) hadn't been necessary before.
    Will I be able to fit more than 3 episodes on a dsic? Sorry, I'm still a little confused.
    You can fit as many as you like, or as many as your eyes can stand. The amount fit onto a DVD is determined only by the bitrate used. The more you try and fit in, the worse they'll all look. But since you're starting with already heavily compressed AVIs and don't care much about quality, maybe up to 3 hours worth of episodes or so may look OK to you.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could you please explain in detail how to do this? I cannot find a way to store more than 3 episodes and how to make a customized menu listing multiple episodes. I cannot see where I can control the bitrate either. You can explain with your program of choice and I will purchase that just to learn how to get this done.

Thank you for time and help.

Dan
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by ss4nemis View Post
    Could you please explain in detail how to do this? I cannot find a way to store more than 3 episodes
    What programs have you already tried?
    You can explain with your program of choice and I will purchase that just to learn how to get this done.
    Nothing has to be bought. And you don't want to use my program(s) of choice.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nero, Windows DVD Maker, all the mainstream ones... not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by ss4nemis View Post
    Nero, Windows DVD Maker, all the mainstream ones... not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    You're using the 'mainstream ones'. Have you tried any of the ones suggested by me and Ai Haibara yet? But it's only been 6 months. Not enough time, maybe?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please remind me which programs you recommend trying this on...

Thank you for your time and help.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Post #2 and Post #5.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I looked at your specs and I see your using WIN 7 ... I'd say you have the file extension turned off ... if you had it turned on ... you would see the extension ... >> .vob

That screen shot shows the typical files in a VIDEO_TS folder on a DVD. These files are basically mpg2 but for DVD purposes their renamed ... >>> .vob.

As for myself ... I would take these AVI cartoons and load them up in ConvertXtoDVD and make a DVD with it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks lacywest! I will try this over Christmas break! I will let you know the outcome. I hope this works.
    Quote Quote