VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have some mp4's that i created with ripbot directly from blu-ray using the 2-pass 6Mbps video bitrate option. i want to reduce only the video bitrate to 4Mbps, is this possible without re-encoding the blu-ray again ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
    i have some mp4's that i created with ripbot directly from blu-ray using the 2-pass 6Mbps video bitrate option. i want to reduce only the video bitrate to 4Mbps, is this possible without re-encoding the blu-ray again ?
    Ripbot will do this no problem. Just load the file, specify the destination bitrate and do a "COPY STREAM" for the audio file. Keep in mind that you'll get better quality by just re-encoding the original BR down to 4mbps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
    i have some mp4's that i created with ripbot directly from blu-ray using the 2-pass 6Mbps video bitrate option. i want to reduce only the video bitrate to 4Mbps, is this possible without re-encoding the blu-ray again ?
    Ripbot will do this no problem. Just load the file, specify the destination bitrate and do a "COPY STREAM" for the audio file. Keep in mind that you'll get better quality by just re-encoding the original BR down to 4mbps.
    thanks for the info, you answered my question: i lose quality if i do a re-encode of the existing mp4 rather than encoding it directly from the source at 4Mbps.

one other thing that i've had trouble with lately is getting selectable subtitles into these mp4 files i make. i know ripbot uses bdsup2sub, but i cannot select a sup file to add to the job. i think ripbot is looking for a different format for subtitle files (srt ?) ... i'm wondering why it works this way ....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
    thanks for the info, you answered my question: i lose quality if i do a re-encode of the existing mp4 rather than encoding it directly from the source at 4Mbps.

one other thing that i've had trouble with lately is getting selectable subtitles into these mp4 files i make. i know ripbot uses bdsup2sub, but i cannot select a sup file to add to the job. i think ripbot is looking for a different format for subtitle files (srt ?) ... i'm wondering why it works this way ....
    Every re-encode costs you in quality. The difference may or may not be noticeable, but encoding times would be similar enough that using the source would be the better way to go.

Subtitles are still kind of the Wild, Wild, West out there and there's no real accepted standard format in the open community. .srt seems to be getting the most support from the at large community. There's several free programs out there that will convert between formats. I think the one I've used in the past is Subtitle Workshop. You can also download .srt files from all over the internet. I've usually found it easier to just download than convert. I have links for a couple of them sites, but I'm at work where they aren't bookmarked.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
    Subtitles are still kind of the Wild, Wild, West out there and there's no real accepted standard format in the open community. .srt seems to be getting the most support from the at large community. There's several free programs out there that will convert between formats. I think the one I've used in the past is Subtitle Workshop. You can also download .srt files from all over the internet. I've usually found it easier to just download than convert. I have links for a couple of them sites, but I'm at work where they aren't bookmarked.
    i'm not a fan of downloading subs if they come off the disc, i'd rather use those, but the problem seems to be that ripbot won't use it's own files as input.

maybe this can be fixed in future releases of ripbot. as it is i have over 150 mp4's that i'd like to have subtitles for that i can enable/disable during the movies. can this be done after the mp4's are created or must i revisit the discs and do it the hard way ?
    Quote Quote