VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,

I've ripped DVD with SmartRipper and the created VOB file has the following storage frame and aspect ratios data according to GSpot:

Storage frame: 720x576
    SAR: 1,250 (5:4)
    PAR: 1.422 (~10:7)
    DAR: 1.778 (16:9)

I would like to ask you:

1.: On the back of the DVD box "2:35:1" is written. In this case what's the reason of the 1,778 DAR?
    2.: If I would like to convert this VOB file to AVI with DivX or Xvid codec. What resulotion should I choose to get the best solution?
    3.: The decrease of the vertical resolution after the conversion: doesn't mean it loss of the video information?

Thank you,
    Rank17
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It has display aspect ratio 16:9 but with top/bottom black bars in the picture so you see 2.35:1.

I would just use autogk.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you,

and what about the resolution?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by rank17 View Post
    and what about the resolution?
    The default will be 720 x XXX, but you can go into the advanced settings and choose 640 or some other width. We can't make a recommendation as there's no 'best' resolution to choose. Does the final filesize matter to you? If not just keep the default settings and do a 1-pass (Quality-Based) encode for the default 75%. If the result suits you then you're done. If not, make some adjustments and do it over again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you,

I'm going to try it.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!