VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What options are there for encoding full res quality intermediate Lagarith to HVEC mp4.
    AfterCodec for AE has been the the best I have found so far.
    Looking for lowest size without pixel noise.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Assuming you don't need AE basically any x265 GUI (or command line tool) should do the job. (assuming you spend some time tweaking the settings)
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Assuming you don't need AE basically any x265 GUI (or command line tool) should do the job. (assuming you spend some time tweaking the settings)
    Do not have to use AE, but it has been hard to match or beat Aftercodec for retaining image quality.

The basic settings Image
    [Attachment 63691 - Click to enlarge]

I have limited knowledge of the settings for other software.
    Just using basic settings, Aftercodecs is giving me higher quality image for file size.

Today I downloaded myffmpeg, CudaCoder and Megui.
    Not test yet

I already tried handbrake and Shotcut.

knowing more about settings could help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Handbrake, myffmpeg, MeGui, Shotcut will all use x265 so their output shouldn't really differ and it's mainly about the settings.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Handbrake, myffmpeg, MeGui, Shotcut will all use x265 so their output shouldn't really differ and it's mainly about the settings.
    As you say, handbrake, myffmpeg, MeGui, Shotcut all use x265.

I use the same Aftercodec settings above for all videos.
    Have you got any suggestions for similar default settings in one of the other software.

Otherwise, I might stick with Aftercodecs for now.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sorry, no clue how those setting match to any settings usually used. 50% quality, in my book would mean throwing away 50% of information and I have no clue how that would happen on normaly sources,...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Sorry, no clue how those setting match to any settings usually used. 50% quality, in my book would mean throwing away 50% of information and I have no clue how that would happen on normaly sources,...
    No worries

Aftercodec 44% quality, is similar to Handbrake Constant quality 22 RF.
    Color is very complex because of trade between retaining saturation vs keeping range and accuracy.

Putting color aside!
    When the resulting processed video size is the same for both programs, aftercodecs has better pixel quality.
    I mention this, because program algorithm is likely a major factor.

The next factor could be that the other programs limit color range, where aftercodec is set to break TV standards.

EDIT: Just realized, I did not set Handbrake/Optimize video.
    This is the same as "Speed" setting in Aftercodecs!
    So the quality of handbrake could have been set higher for the same file size.

Back to the drawing board :/

If anybody can other advice on other settings, please do.
    Last edited by Sandfly; 6th Mar 2022 at 08:06.
    Quote Quote