VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i am trying to video something yet the background is not coming out as white as it is in real life... any ideas of what to do or check.

I am using a nikon coolpix p7100 in addition a filming tent and 3 fluorescent lights (all daylight bulbs)

Thanks

p.s how can i upload the video to here?

Thanks and have an amazing day.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The pictures are setup in a white photograph tent with a small white "table" that i place the items on to be photographed

3 "desk lamps" one on the left side of the tent, one on the right side and one in front above where the camera is.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Lighting is about proportion. You are setting your exposure manually aren't you?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I dont think i have changed that... what should the exposure be set to ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. It should be manually set to properly expose the object and let the background blow out. If you leave it on auto it will think the background is "correct" and stop down to accommodate it.

At the very least try backlight mode, but really you need to learn to properly contriol both the camera and lights.
    Quote Quote  
  6. And don't forget to set the white balance.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Much better. Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Here is a picture of our setup, any advice on how we can maximize the quality of our pictures ?Click image for larger version

Name:	20140225_105722.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	23752
    Quote Quote  
  9. No special trick required, just basic photography. Composition, Exposure, Depth of Field, Controlling your light. Those boxes make the basic lighting very simple, all you really have to do is decide how you want to handle your front lighting -- direct, bounce, flash, none, etc. It will change from subject to subject.

Your gear is up to the task, now you have to experiment. Start with one light then add another and see what changes.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Are you looking for an "infinite white" background? Your setup isn't right for that.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I would like the background to be as white possible.. what do i need to change for that to happen?
    Quote Quote  
  12. There are many guides at Youtube and elsewhere. Search for "infinite white background" -- assuming that's what you're looking for, not just proper white balance. In short, you need to light the background with brighter lighting than the subject. Then let the camera over expose the background.
    Quote Quote