VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an off-the-shelf eMachines Windows 7 64bit system and I need to buy something that will allow me to capture DV AVI files.
    • Is there a way to check in Device Manager to see if I have a free PCI slot for a FireWire card? I dont know if eMachines have free slots.
    • If I cannot add one, is there any other DV capture hardware (USB based, for example) that I can buy to use instead?

Thanks guys.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GavSalkeld View Post
    I have an off-the-shelf eMachines Windows 7 64bit system and I need to buy something that will allow me to capture DV AVI files.
    • Is there a way to check in Device Manager to see if I have a free PCI slot for a FireWire card? I dont know if eMachines have free slots.
    • If I cannot add one, is there any other DV capture hardware (USB based, for example) that I can buy to use instead?

Thanks guys.
    SIW (a free program) can tell you how many expansion slots are on the motherboard (look under Hardware) but it won't tell you what kind they are or if they are occupied.

You should also be able to tell just by looking at the back whether there are likely to be any open expansion slots, and unless opening the case voids the warranty, you should be able to look inside and see what is available for yourself.

However, if eMachine's website is like that for most of the companies that make pre-built PCs, the product page for your model should give you some useful information. The owner's manual may have some technical specs for the motherboard too.

There are no reliable firewire to USB converters. If capturing as DVD video is acceptable there are some DVD recorders that can capture DV from firewire and record it to DVD.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Nov 2011 at 15:02.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the fast reply. The back does not have any slots open, it's just a solid case (with connections built-in for the mouse, etc).

I guess I really need some other method of capture but I need to be able to capture in AVI format, not MPEG-2. Can anyone suggest any recommended hardware?

I appreciate your time and efforts.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the model number of your computer? Even the smallest desktops have one or two expansion slots available. Other than laptops and all-in-ones, the only pre-built PCs I have seen without any are really tiny special-purpose machines.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi and thanks again. Its the EL 1352G model.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You've already verified that there is no "onboard" (motherboard) Firewire connector?

Edit: never mind -- I looked at the model specs and it doesn't show one.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Not that I can see, and I didnt see one in Device Manager - let me double check, though. Where do I look in DM?

BTW the model is here:

http://www.emachines.com/ec/en/US/content/model/PT.NCG02.002

Number of PCI Express x1 Slots - 1
    Number of PCI Express x16 Slots - 1
    Does that mean one spare of each?

Also for the RAM:

Standard Memory 2 GB
    Maximum Memory 4 GB
    Number of Total Memory Slots 2
    Is that two spare slots so I can increase the memory?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The picture I saw shows two expansion slots at the top of the back end of the PC, above the audio ports, when the PC is in tower position. Both the PCI-e x1 and the a PCI-e x16 are available. There are PCI-e x1 add on cards for adding one or more Firewire 400 ports (which most DV devices use). It looks like you might need a card with a low-profile bracket, but I can't tell for sure. Someone will have to measure the height of the brackets. The RAM slots could both be filled, or one could be open.

If you are as uncomfortable with the prospect of shopping for parts, reading the manual, opening the chassis, and doing the work yourself as you seem to be, find a computer-savy friend to help you with this or pay a computer shop to do the work.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Nov 2011 at 19:24.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Damn, you are right. I totally missed those. Thank you for pointing out my stupidity, lol!

I had a look on Newegg.com and they have some cheap Firewire cards. Can you recommend any of those that would work?

I have some experience installing memory and PCI cards on other systems so am confident I can do this. I just dont know the difference between PCI-e x1 and PCI-e x16.

Just to clarify, the FireWire card would be used for capturing from miniDV to AVI in Premiere Pro CS3.

(Would this work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124052)
    Last edited by Xoanon; 26th Nov 2011 at 20:03.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Damn, you are right. I totally missed those. Thank you for pointing out my stupidity, lol!

I had a look on Newegg.com and they have some cheap Firewire cards. Can you recommend any of those that would work?

I have some experience installing memory and PCI cards on other systems so am confident I can do this. I just dont know the difference between PCI-e x1 and PCI-e x16.

Just to clarify, the FireWire card would be used for capturing from miniDV to AVI in Premiere Pro CS3.

(Would this work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124052)
    The linked card will not work. yoy need a PCI-e x1 card and it is a PCI card. Plus, it is low profile only. It is hard to tell which type bracket is needed from the picture. Measure the slot covers. Full-height brackets are 107mm. Half-height brackets are 79.2mm.

Some add-on cards include both types of brackets. This PCI-e card is also inexpensive, and includes both types of brackets. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166018 It has 6-pin ports. I'm just not sure what brands are available to you on the other side of the Atlantic.

You will of course also need a cable to match the ports on both the camera and the add-on card.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Nov 2011 at 22:52.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Sorry, Im actually in the US just need to update my profile.

The tower width is very small, I assume it needs a low profile card. Ive only ever used 6-pin plugs so I assume thats fine.

Thanks so much for your help; anything else I need to know?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't think of anything else to tell you about.

[Edit] I lied. Windows 7 has drivers that supposedly work with all firewire cards. The Rosewill card was the best- rated PCI-e firewire card available at Newegg.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Nov 2011 at 00:14.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Well that card is not a low profile one, so I just gotta find a PCI-E low profile card.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well that card is not a low profile one, so I just gotta find a PCI-E low profile card.
    That Rosewill card includes a low-profile bracket as a separate piece. If you can use a screwdriver to change the bracket, it can be installed in a case requiring a low profile bracket. If at some point in the future you need a firewire card for a case with full-height expansion slots, it can still be installed.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Nov 2011 at 09:36.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Brilliant, thank you. I think I can go ahead and get it then.
    Quote Quote