VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I download a lot of tv shows (due to scheduling issues) so I can watch them when convenient. Typically, they are in avi format and I use Pioneer DV-393 decks (ntsc & pal & divx) to play back on standard tvs. As of the last few months, most of the videos play back audio that is (my best guess) Dolby encoded. So what I hear is highly compressed audio and the background sounds tend to overwhelm the dialog. I'm assuming that the Pioneer decks don't understand the audio format and just play it raw.

My question: is there any way to decode whatever compression (again, probably Dolby) and rebuild the avi with a raw wav or mp3 audio that is decoded for simple play back?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Most downloaded XviD/DivX TV shows use MP3 audio already. However, you could run a file through GSpot or MediaInfo to find out for sure what kind of audio it is. Maybe there's something wrong with your player or audio system, or they're not set up properly. Does it sound any better when played on the computer or on a different standalone?

To answer your question, yes, it's a simple matter to extract the audio and reencode it however you like.
    Quote Quote