VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there an encoder that will encode MP3 to AAC/MP4 and keep the cover art from the MP3 to the encoded AAC/MP4?

I'm running Windows XP

Thanks for any help,
    duff916
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    2 step process..(better)

use lamexp to convert files to mp4.

load files in mp3tag and copy/paste cover-art.

easier option..

use itunes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tip. I tryed iTunes a while back and it didn't do the trick. I think I'll be doing the LameXP/MP3Tag route.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why are you going from MP3 to AAC/MP4 ... makes no sense!

All this will do is make a file that has worse quality!

Since you already have MP3 and all media players pretty much support MP3 I don't understand the reason to do AAC/MP4 so please either re-consider or explain yourself.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Why are you going from MP3 to AAC/MP4 ... makes no sense!

All this will do is make a file that has worse quality!

Since you already have MP3 and all media players pretty much support MP3 I don't understand the reason to do AAC/MP4 so please either re-consider or explain yourself.

Well, I encode MP3's myself in the highest quality possible so the file size can get rather large. I also keep 4gigs of MP3's on a Memory Stick Duo Pro for my Playstation 3. The reason I keep my music on a Memory Stick is because I don't like the way the PS3 sorts music when it's on the internal HDD.

SO, If I can take a 8.7meg file and cram it down to 3.5megs it would be saving me alot of space in the end since I only have a 4gig Memory Stick. And the sound quality is just as good as the original MP3 I made.

It's just to save on what little space I have. Don't rean into it too much man.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess my point is that MP3 is lossy compression and AAC-LC/MP4/M4A is lossy compression. So when you go from one to the other quality will be lost. I'd feel better if you told me that you archived everything in a lossless format like FLAC and only used AAC-LC for portable use. That would make more sense.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have no need to archive in a lossless format. And going from MP3 to AAC/MP4 sounds just fine for me.

This is all for my personal amusement. I'm not encoding music to share with anyone in any way what so ever.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A better option would be to wrap your MP3s in the MP4 container ---
    --- a 100% lossless conversion But I really don't know whether
    iTunes and similar "jokeboxwares" will complain about the non-AAC and
    non-ALAC .m4a's

\\\\\
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Put my MP3's in a MP4? But then the file size would be the same. The whole point is to cut the file size down 60% and still have it sound great. I used LameXP with the Nero AAC codec on my MP3's and they sound great with my headphones on. These AAC/MP4's I'm making isn't something that I plan on keeping forever and I still have all my original MP3's. This is just for my 4gig Memory Stick that I use with my Playstation 3.
    Quote Quote  
  10. foobar2000's converter has an option to "transfer attached pictures". I'm not 100% it's the same thing but it sounds like it. You'd need to download the NeroAAC encoder separately.

It looks like MusicBee will copy artwork when converting, and/or download it and add it for you. Once again for AAC you need to download NeroAAC separately.

Alternatively, try Mp3Tag. It'll modify/write tags etc and you can copy tags from one file to another, or select a bunch of files, copy the tags, open another bunch of files and paste the tags. I'd imagine that'd also include cover art. It'll read/write tags in other formats such as MP4/M4A, not just MP3.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Can't you just buy a bigger memory stick? I see 16 GB sticks for $8 at Amazon.
    Last edited by jagabo; 20th Mar 2014 at 11:10.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  13. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    I guess there was a $pämmer between post #9 and post #10
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm sure there was a post containing a link to a program called A/V Cover Artist prior to my last one. I clicked on it to have a look so it was still in my browser's history. I thought it was a legit post but maybe not.... it's gone now. I didn't notice the rest of the posts were so old. Sorry.
    Quote Quote