VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My new computer, HP ENVY 1420 with Intel i7 quad core 64-bit, 16GB RAM, SSD, and Blu-Ray player/writer uses Cyberlink PowerDVD 12. It also has an Nvidia GPU GT 630. When playing Blu-Ray's the picture/audio work fine for a few minutes, then start "stuttering" similar to what you've been calling "judder." After a minute, if left alone, the movie resumes in perfect order. A while later, it happens again. I went thru HP support, Cyberlink, Nvidia, and HP finally replaced the GPU, the motherboard, and the optical drive (twice) but nothing has made any difference. None of the sources could figure out what might cause the problem. I thought it was a buffering problem, but apparently not. I like my new computer so much, that I told them to close the issue for now; I don't want to send it back when it is lightning fast and does everything else I need perfectly.

Your thread might be giving me some clues; however, I looked at the PowerDVD settings and found that it was already set to automatically adjust the fps (I think) by turning on True Theatre Video Effects. I plan to experiment more with the settings, such as turning off hardware decoding, etc. Any ideas surrounding this situation? Since it "stumped" the providers, maybe the experts in the user community have experienced this problem. Thanks for any information.
    Last edited by nodnyl; 2nd Mar 2013 at 16:50.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moved your post to it's own thread where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Maybe a different software player may work better. Just a suggestion as I don't know what's causing your problem, other than your player is stumbling on high bit rate. Does it play ordinary DVD's OK? Is the blue ray a commercial disk or something you produced?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did try Corel, and it did the same thing. Regular DVD's play OK for 10-15 mins, then they also do the same stuttering. The interval is consistently longer on DVD's as opposed to the 3-5 mins for Blu-Ray disks. That's the main reason I thought it was buffering. My Blu-Rays are all commercial, including the newest one, "Sky Fall." BTW, Corel couldn't help, either. I've dedicated some time tomorrow to manipulate the PowerDVD 12 settings to see if I can stumble on a gold combination. Most boring ... so I will watch Sky Fall if I can stand the interruptions! Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Quote  
  5. nondyl, I am curious as to whether there is some bottleneck in your disk transfer buffering. You might try copying Skyfall to the HDD using MakeMKV. You can find the key for the beta software on the home site.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

See if that plays independent of your blu-ray drive.
    Better still if you can make an ISO of it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A crucial thing that's not mentioned here is the blu-ray drive. Make/model/firmware? It will have been likely OEMd for HP. In my experience, in general, laptops & branded PCs, even at this point in time, rarely have blu-ray drives (combo or writer) as standard. It seems they conclude people hardly play blu-ray on their computers so why bother. With this mindset I wouldn't be surprised if they put crap there.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Go through that computer and give it an enema....turn off all background crap HP stuck on there.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Go through that computer and give it an enema....turn off all background crap HP stuck on there.
    Best point yet. I doubled the speed of a laptop by doing just that a couple of years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Best point yet. I doubled the speed of a laptop by doing just that a couple of years ago.
    100% on that. That was my experience with my older Compaq (HP in disguise) laptop.

I'd also be looking for some buffer settings in that player, and another player if there aren't any.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good points, all.

The name of the BD writer/player included in my OEM package is "hp BD-RE BH38L " which HP says they manufacture. I can find little in the way of details. I asked HP support if I could purchase a better audio device with same options, and they said this is the best they offer. I tried to give it back to them, but they said that was not an option. Ha.

I am generating a "MakeMKV" copy of Star Wars VI as I write. I'll try it out soon as it finishes.

No, I have not done a thorough purge of the HP junk included, but will do so next in line.

It is true that playing BD on a computer is not my primary reason for buying the optical drive; I want to use BD for storage and playback of my life's photography and video library. However, playback on the computer should be a growing desire, as HDTV's and computers are coming together at an alarming rate.

I will report back on the results, and I truly appreciate your time and help with this mystery/challenge.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can attest to the fact that Murphy is alive and well.

I installed the MakeMKV software and created a disk version. I even used PowerDVD 12 to play it. No problems. Never got a judder or a stutter.

Then, the problems began. I tried to use PowerDVD 12 to play the original BD as normal, but I was told that it could not access my optical drive at all, and that I should uninstall the software and reinstall it from scratch. Which I did. I thought MakeMKV had altered the default program file attributes, so I changed them manually. No dice.

I left the computer and came back with a beer. The error message had given an error code of 101. I went to CyberLink site, and started to submit a tech report, but I was greeted with the fact that the latest Windows 8 update TODAY had caused PowerDVD 12 to generate an error 101. My luck. I downloaded the patch provided, and things started to work again.

But, playing the BD directly through PowerDVD 12 resulted in the same problem. No difference.

I purged the computer of everything gifted by HP and gracious vendors. Still the same problem.

I went to performance settings and eliminated all Windows 8 Aero enhancements and everything else I could find. Still the same problem.

I believe the tests show that the optical drive provided by HP is the issue. I still think it's a buffering problem of some sort, or a slow, slow data transfer glitch. Anyway, if this information triggers a theory, I'm game to try out anything. Otherwise, I'll just wait until HP/MS come up with a new fix or firmware version that will work. It isn't holding up my primary work.

Thanks again for all you help. Murphy and I love to live on the edge.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nodnyl View Post
    I believe the tests show that the optical drive provided by HP is the issue. I still think it's a buffering problem of some sort, or a slow, slow data transfer glitch.
    When you come to this point, Pioneer BDR-2207 is one of the best out there.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, that HP really sux. They load a lot of junk before you even see the desktop. The crap hogs the first half a gig, and you get whatever's left.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ur problem seems to me is ur bluray dvd-rom.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I have the exact same problem with my HP ENVEY h8 - 1534 pc with LG blue ray player.... any help would be greatly appreciated gtwstuff@gmail.com.. thank you
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Better to post in your own thread and not put in your email address due to spam,stuttering is usually caused by a bad encoding using the wrong frame rate,post in a new thread and give more details on the video that has that problem.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very good advice regarding email addresses!

However, I got this message here, and I'm replying. Since my report, HP has not done anything about my blu-ray player/writer drivers since I purchased my computer. I am convinced that the hardware they are using is not capable of consistently buffering the large amount of data needed to show Blu-ray or DVD disks.

I don't use the player/writer much for movies, since I do that on a big screen TV that has no problems with blu-ray playing. The writer on my computer reads/records blu-ray data disks OK and the resulting movies play back on the big screen TV with no problem. After returning the first computer, and all the hassles, I decided I liked the computer enough to ignore the issue. But, it is quite annoying that HP hasn't done anything regarding drivers, etc., to fix the issue.

For what it's worth, this computer is wonderful! Except for the afore-mentioned cheap hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I do not know if this thread is dead or alive but I have the same issue with my HP Envy. After days of driver updates and firmware and scouring the net for any information regarding this issue, I have finally found by going into task manager and stopping many of the background processes, the drive started functioning properly, which leads me to conclude it is a software conflict. If anyone has found which program causes this issue since this post was last replied to, please feel free to share. If not, as I get time to test each background process by elimination, I will post my findings. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This case has been resolved via HP and an expert there. This is the detailed explanation. Short answer, BluTooth is the culprit, which solved my issue completely. Ease solution is to go to HP driver downloads and get latest updates. Fixes this issue. If you are a techie, you'll like this solution! See attachment.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  20. @NODNYL

Man..!!! i have THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM with playback dvd's that is.. And only in Windvdpro + All2HD + DNM ..

The DVD plays like fine at first , but then every 10 - 15 the playback judders for an half min or so .. and afterwards it continues to playback fine again !!!

Now i don't have bluetooth devices to elliminate as possible cause !! But the enteresting part is when i uninstall / remove CCC catalyst software (except for the gpu driver only) the problem is solved !!!

So again, when i ONLY install GPU DRIVER + HDMI audio driver from ati..; the playback seems to be fine !!

And the person up there who blame this on an bad encode, if it ONLY wos that easy!!
    Why does it stutter EXACTLY every 10 - 15 min !!!
    Also, the dvd seems to play just fine in mpc-hc, potplayer, stand alone player etc no judder !!

Furthermore, the dvd playback is ONLY smooth in windvd aslong i don't install the additional ati bloatware but just the driver !!

So , if it woud be an bad encode then i woud have stutters / judders every time and time again regardless of the app i running it in nor services running in the background which might enterfeer with smooth playback !!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Hi This article maybe of help to anyone suffering judder during Bluray playback. If you are not using PowerDvd just check if ReClock supports your preferred player & see if installing ReClock resolves your judder issues http://hometheatre.ie/how-to-solve-powerdvd-12-bluray-playback-stutter-judder/
    Quote Quote