VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I have my .mkv file. And many guided me to Xvid4PSP to convert to psp mp4 compatible format.
    But the problem is, I get about 30-40 fps converting rate, and thus takes forever, has somebody tried something else
    with faster converting? =D thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Encoding speed depends on CPU speed and the codec used. When I encode Blu-ray discs to MKV, the computer gets down to about 8fps and that's with a quad core CPU running at 3Ghz. The whole conversion takes about six hours. MKV>MP4 would be a lot faster.

You could try other programs, but if they use the same MP4 codec, the results would be about the same.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FWIW, speed and quality rarely go hand in hand. I would also suggest, if you are going to ask questions where the performance of your system is a key factor, that you fill in the computer details in your profile so we can see what you have to offer. Encoding is primarily a CPU based process, and while there are things you can do short of CPU replacement to speed things up, there provide only incremental improvement in most cases.

That said, a quick look in the Tools section reveals

PSP Video 9
    PSPEnc
    PSPVC

I don't have a PSP, so I cannot vouch for any of these personally, other than to say that they exist.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help, and ya simply my machine isn't very strong.
    Single Processor [2Ghz] and 512 RAM.
    =] Appreciate the quick answers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My first recommendation though is to get it out of MKV. Most transcoders are not MKV friendly. Convert it to AVI, or if you can, MP4.
    MKV: Merely Krappy Video.

Subbers, a request from an avid viewer: Either don't use mkv, or supply avi or mp4 as an alternative.

For those frustrated with converting MKV: http://www.immortalmusic.net/mkv/
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ya I totally agree with you, but then again converting to another format and encoding again may take nearly 2x it would take to convert directly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Shilar
    My first recommendation though is to get it out of MKV. Most transcoders are not MKV friendly. Convert it to AVI, or if you can, MP4.
    Actually, life is better than it was. Xvid4PSP handles mkvs without many, if any, problems, and can convert to ,most formats and many devices profiles come in the default setup. It has quickly become my encoder of choice for most conversions.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    xvid4psp would be awesome if it had system tray minimize option.
    Quote Quote  
  9. lol, I remember encoding to MPEG-1 at 1fps (Pentium 100Mhz) xD

30-40fps sounds pretty much okay
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Takes 1.5+ hours when encoding a movie, its pretty lame when Winavi does it faster and an ok job. SUCKS, that WinAVI crashes when converting from mkv to psp. no one has a solution even after re-installing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WinAVI has always sucked, been unstable, and a waste of money. The reason so many people seem to use it is a) it is easily obtainable without money changing hands, and b) the people who obtain that way get advised that it is the best by the people who facilitate the free distribution of it.

WinAVI has only ever worked by random chance.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote