VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi alle the cats,
    but I'm wondering: if I use the x264VFW in virtualdub or others, the destination file is forced to a .avi file or is possibile to have a .mp4 (or .mpg) file? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can use the extra commandline box in x264vfw for other containers . It will make a "fake" AVI, and the real MP4. (.mpg or program stream is not supported)

eg.

-o "PATH\output.mp4"

Or, if you are using vdub, you can use the vdub external encoder feature instead e.g. ffmpeg, x264CLI etc...
    Quote Quote  
  3. or you can use do it the easy way and use virtualdubmod and save the file as .mkv, then extract the raw 264 stream
    from the mkv file with tsmuxer. then mp4box or yamb will mux your raw h.264 stream and your audio to an .mp4 file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. ... or export frame server from VirtualDub (first time you run auxsetup.exe before and install handler),
    then load that into Avisynth: Avisource("from_virtual_dub.vdr") , and that script you load into any x264 frontend (that accepts avisynth script)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    poisondeathray has the best answer with the external encoder feature in the newer versions of Virtualdub. All the other answers are all outdated.

It may seem like a lot of work at first but once you have all your encoder sets it's pretty simple. Most of the work has already been done for you if you follow the guides on Virtualdub's forum or if you search here, you'll find a lot of threads to help.

Not sure what happened to all the images but here is the thread at the unofficial Virtualdub forum...

http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=18840&

I believe Budman1 has a site dedicated to Virtualdub and the external encoder feature also.

I believe the Virtualdub page here is pretty up to date with plugins and such. You will have to track down all the current command line encoders or you can download Selur's Hybrid program that has most up to date CLI encoders.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You can use the extra commandline box in x264vfw for other containers . It will make a "fake" AVI, and the real MP4. (.mpg or program stream is not supported)

eg.

-o "PATH\output.mp4"

Or, if you are using vdub, you can use the vdub external encoder feature instead e.g. ffmpeg, x264CLI etc...

Click image for larger version

Name:	X264_2.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	280.4 KB
ID:	26357

poison a kindess:

1) can I set the x264vfw to write interlaced .mp4 file? semms to me by the mediainfo that .mp4 is progressive

2) I my beautiful dinosaur Spee Razor 5.51 in sync super professional NLE editor (for cats) I have select the "Mpeg 1, Mpeg2, Asf, DV, etc..." plugin that recall a the list of VFW codec installed on the system. Exist a way to pass the output stream of the NLE directly to ffmpeg, as and external encoder?
    3) do you know a AAC encoder VFW that I can install on window 8?

thanks

poison please can you tell me if is a way to encode intelace with this encoder? is there a option? thanks
    Last edited by marcorocchini; 13th Jul 2014 at 06:37.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried this command? You should probably place it first.

--tff
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with DarrellS VFW encoder is outdated. You're better off using the external encoder feature in Virtualdub. I have lots of templates made for various encoders and output formats. It works very well. The only thing I can't get configure right is the muxers. But that can easily be done afterwards.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  9. I can try it but have only 1 "problem", I'm forced to export entire project from the nle in uncompressed --> and then open it in virtualdub and save destination.

In this moment I try to understand if there is a possibilty to export "directly" from the NLE into .mp4 (or other format... I also need to re-encode in MXf) otherwise I have to export in uncompressed and open it virtualdub
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you can contact Debugmode and see if he can write a frameserver for your Dinosaur NLE.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Anyway, this seams to work on the VFW encoder when I tested it out. Make sure you have the quotes for the "output path".

--tff -o "C:\Jnk\out.mp4"
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Maybe you can contact Debugmode and see if he can write a frameserver for your Dinosaur NLE.
    mm interesting Click image for larger version

Name:	CCAT6.JPG
Views:	534
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	26358

really maybe I think, and my cats thinks, we need of a driver :=) to directly decode mxf internally at Speed Razor f.c. or at least mpeg2 or at least mpeg files. Each time I need to transcode in mjpeg avi with a batch file. Hoewver with the morgan mjpeg codec the quality is pratically same. But once the clip are in timeline if I have to re-encode in mjpg and then in mp4 ... is a little bit uncomfortable, and we get quality loss

A little better would be to export directly from timeline, in MP4, and perhaps in MXF Name:  SC.JPG
Views: 847
Size:  5.2 KB

maybe this is not impossible, I'm trying to understand, we try to understand if there is way to use ffmpeg as "external encoder" in association wiht a "dummy" VFW codec ^^
    Quote Quote  
  13. As long as things work , the methods are not outdated ...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by marcorocchini View Post

really maybe I think, and my cats thinks, we need of a driver :=) to directly decode mxf internally at Speed Razor f.c. or at least mpeg2 or at least mpeg files. Each time I need to transcode in mjpeg avi with a batch file. Hoewver with the morgan mjpeg codec the quality is pratically same. But once the clip are in timeline if I have to re-encode in mjpg and then in mp4 ... is a little bit uncomfortable, and we get quality loss

A little better would be to export directly from timeline, in MP4, and perhaps in MXF
    We already had this discussion before. There are other NLE's that do this natively , import/export XDCAM, even smart render XDCAM (pass through with cuts type editing) , multiple export options MP/AVC , XDCAM/MXF, etc...

maybe this is not impossible, I'm trying to understand, we try to understand if there is way to use ffmpeg as "external encoder" in association wiht a "dummy" VFW codec ^^
    Not with "S**** R****"

And ffmpeg cannot read "dummy" VFW AVI directly, unless support has been compiled. e.g. ffmpeg cannot read dmfs signpost directly, has to be routed through avisynth

Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    As long as things work , the methods are not outdated ...
    When their are better, faster, more efficient ways to do things, I would argue the methods are outdated

"S**** R****" works, but he's taking a dozen extra steps, incurring unnecessary quality loss, to get the job done

He's jumping through too many hoops
    Name:  hoopbw.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  8.5 KB
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 13th Jul 2014 at 11:09.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think it's more like beating a dead horse.
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  16. where's the animated gif racer !?
    Quote Quote  
  17. with the latest enhancement I have do to the package, now SR it is trasformed from dinos to a lion ^^
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    where's the animated gif racer !?
    Here is a quick simulation:
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    I agree with DarrellS VFW encoder is outdated. You're better off using the external encoder feature in Virtualdub. I have lots of templates made for various encoders and output formats. It works very well. The only thing I can't get configure right is the muxers. But that can easily be done afterwards.
    You're going about it the right way when experimenting with CLI encoders. Getting the encoder (whether video or audio) going. Getting the other encoder going and then muxing the streams together. You can do that without a muxer (creating just the separate streams) or using special muxers. I have a no-audio muxer and I have mp3 and ac3 passthrough muxers that use ffmpeg.

Somehow, I lost my master vdprof file with all my encoders and encoder sets but here is the one that I have loaded now. Budman1 and raffriff42 were (are) a big help.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  20. but from the NLE I cannot use ffmpeg, the "problem" is that if I want use virtualdub I 'm force to export in uncompressed - > import in virtualddub and then export in the final format

But for example, using the x264 VFW codec I can directly export in MP4.

However if I don't mistake, my NLE can "view" and manage directshow codec: for example the PIC mjpeg codec, when installed, have 1 codec VFW and 1 codec direcshow. My nle recognize both. My problem is that I cannot find a codec (I think directshow only) that allow me to export in MXF xdcamhd422 or MXF imx-D10

Speed Razor can also export natively in mpeg2... but does not have the internal decoder

Click image for larger version

Name:	DS1.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	26400
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think mainconcept makes such codec if I remember correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'll check but I don't think. Mainconcept semms to me have mpeg 2 codec and mxf decoder, but not mxf encoder and in every case mxf container for sony cameras

ffmpeg at the moment don't have preset for mxf-sony container: ffmpeg can do generic encoding in mxf but cannot build mxf file for sony cameras and decks (in my case the pdw-f800, but in general the series pdw-700/800 and pdw-HD1500 or pdw-u2)

ffmbc can do encoding only in mxf-sd mode for sony xdcam deck but wrongs encoding in hd
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!