VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there, Sorry for the very noobish questions, but I'm kind of new to the HD scene. After a bit of general advice on the best way to playback HD video files. Most of the ones I've got a 720p mp4's using x264 encoding... I think. I get a little lost with all the codec terms banded about.

I'm playing them back on an Acer Aspire Revo R3610 running Windows 7 with 4 gig of memory using the nVidia ION chip set, through my Sony 42" LCD TV via a HDMI cable. The playback I'm getting is pretty good but I'm getting a couple of niggles I was hopping someone could help me out with.

Tried playback with the VLC media player and kind of crashed and burnt. Picture starter to totally break up when there was a lot going on, so ditched that one.
    Then tried Media Player Classic Home Cinema x64 (running 64bit Windows 7). This is pretty good except when there is a lot going on, EG. a panning sequence the picture jumps very slightly every second or so. It's not monster bad, but enough to notice.
    If I use Windows own Media Player I get a really good playback, very smooth but I get a strange thing happening where it's almost like media player is trying to auto adjust the brightness.... and gets it wrong. The upshot is the image will go quit dark from time to time. I rewind the footage and it happens in exactly the same places each time. Look at the same footage through Media Player Classic and I have no such problem.

I've tried downloading the ffdshow tryouts.... not sure if that was the right thing to do or not, but it's made no difference.

I don't think it's because the PC can't cope because running task manager at the same time and the CPU and Memory performance is nowhere near 100%.

Any advice at all would be most cool.

Thanks,

Andy.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try the different output devices in MPCHC: View -> Options -> Playback -> Output -> DirectShow Video... You have to close MPCHC and restart it for the change to take effect.

Make sure the DXVA h.264 decoder is being used: View -> Options -> Internal Filters -> Transform Filters -> H264/AVC (DXVA).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi there, thanks for the advice. I've tried the changes you suggested with limited success. Found the best DirectShow output option seemed to be EVR Custom Pres, but it's still not ideal. The slight jumping seems to happen less, but the problem I've noticed is that I seem to be getting what looks like less frames per second using MPC than with Windows Media Player. But what's a pain is that I still get this darkening of the image in WMP, and also it doesn't seem to output the sound correctly. IE. 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. Unlike MPC it doesn't seem obvious in WMP where you can change the codec settings.

Could anybody point me in the right direction please?

Big thanks,

Andy.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi strontium_99 , I have the same Acer I use Shark 007 codec MPC-HC and Core 2.0 works a treat even with 1080p. make sure you take all of the bloat ware off the PC
    CHEERS GARRY
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi Garry, yeah I know what you mean about the bloatware, that was the first thing I did when I first got the PC

I've downloaded the Shark 007 codec and installed it. Can I just ask how you've got your sysem setup please? Did you have to installed ffdshow first? And what settings are you using in Shark and MPC?

Thanks for you help.

@
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	3986Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	3987Click image for larger version

Name:	10.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	3990Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	3982Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	3985Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	3984Click image for larger version

Name:	8.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	3988Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	3983Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	3981Click image for larger version

Name:	9.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	3989Sorry for the delay work is mad at the moment
    CHEERS GARRY
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi again Garry,

Big thanks for the screen shots. Have been having a play with the codec settings, also installed CoreAVC 2.0 codec which I presumed you meant by Core 2.0. Picture quality is great now, no stutter or anything. The only odd this is if I play a DVD rip that I've taken it will play back in 5.1 Cool. If I play, say an, mp4 with AAC with 5.1, 6 or 7 channel audio it only seems to play back in stereo even after setting the audio settings to pass-through and 5.1. Have you run into a problem like this?

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers,

Andy.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't get to my HTPC at the mo. check in the FFDShow settings
    CHEERS GARRY
    Quote Quote