VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there.

I'm using GUI for DVDAuthor and I'm in a bit of a fix. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I have one film with 20 chapters (talent show at local school). Since they won't all fit on one screen I wanted to put 10 chapters each on two screens.

All menus/titlesets were working when I clicked on them while authoring in the software (and all pages passed the Syntax Check), but when I create the DVD it gives me a bunch of "ERR: That form of jumping is not allowed" messages.

Firstly, I'm not sure which jumps are giving me the error. I did save the log, but I'm not sure what to look for, and I don't know which ones need to be fixed.

Secondly. why would it jump properly and do exactly as I want in the software, but it won't create correctly?

Thirdly, the software did create and save the DVD files. I may try burning to disc to see if things work anyway...unless someone here informs me that it would be a waste of time.

I read the manuals and available help files but I'm stuck...not sure what I need to change to make it work, or even what codes to change.

I suppose more info will be needed in order to give any specific guidance. Let me know what may be helpful and I'll either post it or eMail it.

Thanks.

Dean J.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's hard to help you without the exact 'wrong syntax'. Either post the author.xml or the saved gfd file (or send them to me by email, my address can be found in the log).
    I may try burning to disc to see if things work anyway...
    Yes there may be players which will work nevertheless (but use a RW media for test). That's why I do not completely 'forbid' those jumps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks borax. I'll go ahead and send the two files to you via eMail.

I appreciate your help!

Dean J.
    Quote Quote  
  4. OK, I've got your files.
    You made the same mistake as myself as I started to use dvdauthor.

A jump from a main menu (MainMenu or MainSubMenuX) to a chapter is not allowed. You may jump to the movie directly with:
    'jump title 1;' instead of 'jump title 1 chapter 1;' but you may not jump to any specific chapter.
    As your project is rather simple (one movie only), you can skip the main menu completely (delete the MainSubMenu1 also) and use the Titleset1Menu as 'main' navigation menu.
    To do this, just add a post command (or even as pre command) in the main menu with the action: 'jump titleset 1 menu;' and set the pause to 0 seconds. Do not use any additional buttons on the main menu, only the automatically created filmbutton. Set the 'End action' to 'Titleset menu' in the default project settings.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again borax. I now understand that I can't jump from a main (or sub) menu directly to chapters. Good to know.

A titleset-submenu works great with multiple pages of chapters for one film so that's how I handled it. This "revised" final product will have a bit less efficient navigation than my original plan, but it's still quite workable.

Created without errors!

This new knowledge will surely come in handy for future DVD projects.

Thanks!

Dean J.
    Quote Quote