VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a JVC HM-DH30000U VCR, and have noticed that on certain tapes the video will play back too "hot". The whites are much too bright, and the captured video cannot be adjusted to look properly with any PC tools.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what tapes playback too hot. All different brands and lengths have this problem, as well as tapes recorded in a variety of different VCRs. It does not do this on any commercially recorded tapes however.

Anyone have any clue as to why this might be?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, some more information...

* It makes no difference if the VCR is plugged into a wall outlet or a surge protector.
    * It makes no difference if the VCR is plugged directly into the TV or not.
    * All three options of cable produce the same results.
    * The same tape, played in another VCR through the JVC VCR will improve somewhat, but is still too bright. Playing the tape in another VCR hooked directly to the television shows the image properly.

Here's a screencap of one of the tapes in question. Yeah yeah it's wrestling, I know...

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe that's an error of that unit.

I've seen stuff like this on crappy tapes, when using s-video instead of composite.

Don't know enough about your setup to elaborate or guess further.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So would it be something fixable? The VCR is still under warranty. Or would it possibly be a problem on all JVC HM-DH30000U units?

Here's the same shot on a $30 VCR playing through the JVC unit.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have no idea.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by filmjax

Here's a screencap of one of the tapes in question. Yeah yeah it's wrestling, I know...
    Oh man. I loved Nitro. I have a VCR that washes out white colors. I just ended up buying other ones that don't do it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you show us the same screen cap directly from one of your vcrs that doesn't have the problem (just for comparison purposes)?

I have noticed that all of my JVC vcrs (I have three) output at least a little bit "hot." This can be corrected fairly well by use of something like a SIMA Color Corrector and playing with the brightness and contrast levels.

If I get some time today, I'll see if a can post some examples.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Don't know if it's related but I'd read those 3000's had a recall for something. Check JVC support.
    My 9911 outputs on the "hot" side too but captures playback fine. My mpegs and dvds show no signs of the "hot" that is present during capture.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pfh
    Don't know if it's related but I'd read those 3000's had a recall for something. Check JVC support.
    My 9911 outputs on the "hot" side too but captures playback fine. My mpegs and dvds show no signs of the "hot" that is present during capture.
    Now that you mention it, I think I recall reading that some of this is related to the the difference between viewing on a computer monitor vs. on a TV (due to the different ways they handle color).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That video is dead, not much you can do to save it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Marvingj
    That video is dead, not much you can do to save it.
    I'm not sure why you think the video is dead, since I posted a second screen shot of the tape playing much better in a cheaper VCR.

My concern is the playback output of the JVC Digital VCR. I would just think that this machine would play a tape better than a $30 Panasonic. It is only certain tapes playing in the JVC machine that have this problem. I run digital cable through it, a DVD player through it and play commercial VHS tapes on it without any trouble.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BrainStorm69
    Can you show us the same screen cap directly from one of your vcrs that doesn't have the problem (just for comparison purposes)?
    Here is the same shot coming directly from the $30 Panasonic VCR

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd be interested to know as well. I have some 8mm tapes that show the same thing during playback, as well as some VCR tapes in which certain areas appear as white blotches (as if from overexpsure) through my 9911U.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see a problem with the JVC at this point. Both images look like crap, the JVC and the Panasonic.

That's just a horrible tape.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I don't see a problem with the JVC at this point. Both images look like crap, the JVC and the Panasonic.

That's just a horrible tape.
    Ok, I never said I was working with master copies in SP speed here... but I mean, there is a very obvious quality difference between the first and third images. The $500 VCR shouldn't playback worse than the $30 one. And this happens on hundreds of tapes I own. I'm trying to figure out why. This was just the tape I had on hand to show an example of what I was talking about.

The JVC unit is too bright and oversaturated. I can live with the image from the Panasonic. The problem here is that I shouldn't have to settle if there's a way to determine the problem with the JVC.
    Quote Quote  
  16. It seems like you are having a problem with that specific unit. Most people report VHS playback with the JVC 30000 and 40000 D-VHS units is comparable to their 9000 series S-VHS machines (they both are built pretty well and have the 4MB TBC/DNR processing).

I happen to have a used 30000 D-VHS machine on the way, so I'll be sure to report if I see anything like that occuring for VHS playback.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61
    I happen to have a used 30000 D-VHS machine on the way, so I'll be sure to report if I see anything like that occuring for VHS playback.
    I'd go as far as to send you one of these tapes when you get your 30K, so you can see what I'm seeing.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hey, I got the JVC 30000 D-VHS unit... not impressed. I guess these machines are only good at playing and recording the D-VHS (MPEG2) high def stuff. It is built well and all, but VHS looked terrible played back on this unit. Lots of digital processing artifacts like color banding, clay faces, smearing, etc. Not a good alternative to a 9000 series JVC S-VHS machine as far as capturing VHS goes.
    Quote Quote  
  19. So then the premium for the 9000 series still remains high. Hmmmm.....

Can be good and bad news for the foreseeable future depending on how you look at it.

Good to know- thanks g.
    Quote Quote  
  20. All the high-end consumer and prosumer S-VHS units from JVC, Sony, Panasonic, etc. are going for a premium on eBay lately. There are many people out there looking to do decent quality VHS to DVD conversion, so these machines are still in demand to some degree.
    Quote Quote  
  21. So gshelley- you going to keep playing with improving vhs playback on the 30000 or are you just going to do dvhs conversions on it? Just curious if you were going to keep it and have a use in for it in your setup?
    Or- if you think it isn't any of my d*** business !!
    Quote Quote  
  22. I've got a couple of D-VHS tapes on the way and want to have a look at them on my Samsung DLP... after that, who knows?

I have several JVC S-VHS machines for VHS playback anyway. I'll probably wind up re-selling the 30000.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gshelley61
    Hey, I got the JVC 30000 D-VHS unit... not impressed. I guess these machines are only good at playing and recording the D-VHS (MPEG2) high def stuff. It is built well and all, but VHS looked terrible played back on this unit. Lots of digital processing artifacts like color banding, clay faces, smearing, etc. Not a good alternative to a 9000 series JVC S-VHS machine as far as capturing VHS goes.
    Well good, then its not just mine. Anyone want to buy it from me?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have similar problems with a JVC HR-S9911U I picked up 4 days ago at J&R in Manhattan -- not as "hot" as shown here, but with other glitches as well. This unit has hot whites as well as exagerrated, washed-out highlights on cable reception as well as record and playback. Edges of all objects are visibly soft, with mice teeth (serrated edges), soft-looking text, "frying" edges even on SP, really bad EP playback on both VHS and SVHS (EP often looks like a faded Polaroid print on old EP tapes). Yet my aging Panasonic PV-V9668, which now stops playing on SP after 15 or 20 minutes, runs rings around the JVC on every tape I play.

I'm taking this JVC back to J&R this morning for a refund. Not at all impressed by this thing's performance, especially at the selling price of $370 + tax. If a so-so Panasonic with arthritis can outplay this unit, I'm ready to start looking for a decent $100 Sharp VCR. Is this JVC defective, or just not worth the money? I say it's a defect: out of the box, the text on the setup menu screens displayed sparkles, soft out-of-focus edges letters and multi-color pixelation. If you highlight a menu item, the text gets fractured and discolored. After messing with JVC's filters for 4 days, I've given up on it. Now can't decide whether to exchange for a new box or just get a refund. This is either a defective unit, or the JVC is the most over-rated VCR on the market.

I'll try this upload one more time:

[img]https://www.videohelp.com/forum/images/guides/p1290774/E:\FIRM1\est\WhtFeet2.jpg
    [/img]
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 20:38.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so much the upload. I'll try that later. Have to catch a train to return this over-hyped JVC.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 20:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's certainly not "overhyped". It sounds like you have one that got damaged between the factory and you.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the swift reply, lordsmurf. I must say, I discovered your DVD guide a few months ago and learned a great deal. I was surprised at this JVC, because I see screen captures in this forum that describe a very good VCR. I resepct yours and others opinions about the 9911. Just very disappointed, after spending $18 in train fare between here and Manhattan to get the unit, and another $18 today to return it (shipping is $18 anyway), that this JVC has downghraded workmanship (so what's new about that today?). I suspect it has a sick output module, since the problems exist on tv, record, and playback. Guess I'll make up my mind at the return counter: if J&R will let me return yet a 2nd unit if I'm dissatisfied, I'll get an exchange.

Would hate to lose $370 + tax + train fares if the JVC won't perform. I can get a brand new Sharp VCR 9xx for $86 from 3 sources, so I feel a little trapped.

Now, if someone would just repair my Panasonic PV-9668 or my old Sony SLV-595HF, I'd be more than happy. But no shop will work on them.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 20:39.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by sanlyn
    Now, if someone would just repair my Panasonic PV-9668 or my old Sony SLV-595HF, I'd be more than happy. But no shop will work on them.
    Ain't that the truth!! They usually laugh at you.

Too bad about tha JVC- it is defective cause mine shows no symptoms like you describe. Then again, I purchased a factory refurb. hmmmm.
    You should be able to get a replacement. Demand a replacement. That's not too much to ask.
    Quote Quote  
  29. @sanlyn,
    To upload a photo only use the file name: [arl]whtfeet2.jpg[/arl]* then select browse for image or file.
    *change the "a" to a "u"
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Mucho thanks for the upload tip, MOVIEGEEK. I searched the FAQs for this info, couldn't find it.

I just made a 10-minute Ep and SP on plain on VHS on the JVC, off my cable tv. Played back poorly on the JVC, much played much better on the Panasonic (thru tv and my Ati card). So it records OK, but the output is messed up. One thing I found out: the JVC is no match for Panasonic on EP record/playback (the Panny makes EP look almost like SP, but with a little tape noise). Looks like I'll use the JVC for SP and the Panny for EP. Pain in the neck.

Trying that upload one more time.

*]whtfeet2.jpg*[/url]
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 20:39.
    Quote Quote