VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I mean Avid Media Composer 8. Just for the program alone. I read somewhere that it was 80 GB. But that can't be right.
    Thanks,
    Paul
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not likely. Depends on what you get with the package (Utils+FX+Samples+DemoMaterials) however, but even with all that, it shouldn't be that large.

8GB, maybe. The downloadable trial version from AVID's website is 2GB.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. They recommend a 250gb 7200rpm SATA or 128GB SSD. Obviously it isn't all used, but there's a lot of potential processes running -- including background transcoding.

It's worth taking their specs pretty seriously:
    http://www.avid.com/US/products/media-composer/specifications

also check out the version matrix for correct QT and Nvidia Driver versions:
    http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/en267087

Running properly it's a joy -- but it's not a toy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Agreed. If AVID has requirements, you had best meet them or you'll not get far in tech support. For many pros, this is one of those "enterprise-level, must-always-be-working" type of apps, where you cannot afford downtime.

Looking at it another way, if you can't afford the expected supported hardware, you shouldn't be looking at this app.

250GB HDD/128GB SSD is actually fairly modest for a new media workstation PC's boot drive (not counting laptops). Both my desktop/workstation & my server have way more than that, and they're not new.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks a lot people! I'll stick to Premiere Pro. Its a lot faster and smoother. Lower memory requirements I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I love my Avid, but PP's taken a big leap forward in the last couple of years.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!