VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have a Sony TRV-480 and I want to transfer some old 8mm movies
    to my PC and then a DVD. This the resolution of these movies
    isn't that great what method would produce the best results?

1. Record to Tape, then with Firewire transfer movie to PC.
    2. Record to Memory Stick and then copy file to PC.

What type of resolution does each alternative create? Also
    would each method create an AVI file? Thanks for any advice
    before I play trial and error.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmation
    Have a Sony TRV-480 and I want to transfer some old 8mm movies
    to my PC and then a DVD. This the resolution of these movies
    isn't that great what method would produce the best results?

1. Record to Tape, then with Firewire transfer movie to PC.
    2. Record to Memory Stick and then copy file to PC.

What type of resolution does each alternative create? Also
    would each method create an AVI file? Thanks for any advice
    before I play trial and error.
    Memory stick would be 352x240 and low webcam quality.

You can record to tape in DV format or directly to the PC over IEEE-1394 in "analog pass through" mode. Use WinDV at the PC end.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Old 8mm movies that are on 8mm video tape or 8mm film? If its 8mm tape just hook up firewire port on camcorder to computer and 'play' the 8mm tapes and capture directly to dv using a program such as Sony Vegas. The TRV-480 has the ability to play back old analog 8mm and send the data out the firewire port - done. The memory stick is used for still photos - don't waste you money on one. Now, if it's film you have well...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would guess (although your manual should confirm) that the memory stick option would be low res, low bitrate, email type quality.

Personally, I believe that you should give your footage the best opportunity. Otherwise, why bother. Cap the highest appropriate resolution (full D1), work with it at that resolution, then make the call. If, when it comes time to encode it for DVD, you decide that half-d1 is high enough, at least it is an informed decision. If you cap at a low resolution then you have basically screwed yourself from the outset, and have nowhere else to go.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am talking about 8mm film. My only concern is do I loose much using the firewire port conversion. Or would a camcorder that filmed straight to a digital file be much better? Since filming the 8mm film isn't going to be any high end quality in itself I was thinking that the firewire import would be able to convert any quality I could capture by recording the 8mm film on a tape. Is that correct?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The TRV-480 is a Digital8 camcorder therefore when you record to tape you record straight to digital onto the tape. You then "dump" the tape via the camera's firewire port to the computer. No conversion loss there. Give it a go and let us know how it comes out!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I didn't realize that. Will let you know how it turns out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You lose something via the FireWire port if you do pass-through A-to-D with that TRV480, true, but you lose MUCH, MUCH more with the memory stick route. That should make your choice very easy.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The memory stick is a bogus feature on these cameras. So is the USB transfer feature which is tied to the memory stick. Not to mention you have to use Sony memory sticks which, in any case, are overpriced compared to other flash memory form factors.

My advice is to forget about the memory stick and USB "features" completely. Pretend they don't exist and go from there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am talking about 8mm film. My only concern is do I loose much using the firewire port conversion. Or would a camcorder that filmed straight to a digital file be much better? Since filming the 8mm film isn't going to be any high end quality in itself I was thinking that the firewire import would be able to convert any quality I could capture by recording the 8mm film on a tape. Is that correct?
    If you want a quality transfer, get it done by a pro transfer house to MiniDV tape or hard disk, not DVD. MPeg2 with 15 frame GOPS is ok for distribution but not as an archive. Taping from a screen is a low brow way to do it. Pro shops will be using RGB cameras with sync telecine or flying spot scanners (best).

PS: Ideally you get a hard disk with frame by frame master scans @native ~18fps. You then use those for conversion to 23.976fps progressive MPeg2 for DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am talking about 8mm film. My only concern is do I loose much using the firewire port conversion.
    Film? I am not aware of any device that will play film, convert it to DV and output it over Firewire. Are you sure it's film and not videotape? Video camcorders do not play film.
    Quote Quote