VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.

I purchased Bandicam screen capture a little while ago. I also downloaded the Largarith lossless codec. For my OS's, desktop and laptop I found that the Largarith lossless codec and the Bandicam included Xvid codec work the best. Largarith is superior and very smooth with 30 frames per second or 60 frames per second. My desktop monitor is 1920 x 1080.

I am having some trouble though. From all the video editing programs I have (some free and some pay) they don't recognize the Largarith lossless codec. This is an issue to edit the screen captures or convert to a different kind of codec. The audio usually works without a problem. The video drops frames, speeds up or is a black screen at the beginning or in the middle of the clip.

I think the problem is the largarith lossless codec. Since this codec seems to not be developed anymore, how many programs support it? Do I have to buy Adobe's Premier and After Effects cloud program/service?

I am capturing in AVI since MP4 and FLV or other codecs are choppy and don't work on my system or drain the system resources. I am going with PCM/Wav 1411kbps audio since this is easier to convert and down-mix.

ffmpeg codec did not work with Bandicam and I tried many options.

I thought the 60 frames per second export could be a problem but I tried with 30 frames per second and the output files are not working. The Xvid captures are good and usually are not a problem, but quality is less.

Any advice?

The other question/problem is: Is it possible to convert 60 frames per second progressive screen captures or video into 30 frames? Are programs designed to drop every other frame? Or would I have to specify that in a certain type of program? Does it affect the audio or make the video shorter?
    Last edited by SyncroScales; 18th Jul 2015 at 01:46. Reason: Added a question.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by SyncroScales View Post
    Any advice?
    Try UtVideo.

Originally Posted by SyncroScales View Post
    Is it possible to convert 60 frames per second progressive screen captures or video into 30 frames?
    The question is why would you want to do that?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming you installed Lagarith correctly, there is nothing wrong with it. I've been using it for years. If your video editor doesn't support it, then it is likely useless anyway.

Free video editors that will work with Lagarith are Virtualdub (basic but easy) and Aviutl (advanced but complicated). Any commercial NLE will support Lagarith.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by SyncroScales View Post
    From all the video editing programs I have (some free and some pay) they don't recognize the Largarith lossless codec. This is an issue to edit the screen captures or convert to a different kind of codec. The audio usually works without a problem. The video drops frames, speeds up or is a black screen at the beginning or in the middle of the clip.
    Make sure the null frames option is disabled. It helps a lot with compression when you have identical duplicates, but many video editors don't know how to handle it and produce black frames, or dropped frames

The other question/problem is: Is it possible to convert 60 frames per second progressive screen captures or video into 30 frames? Are programs designed to drop every other frame? Or would I have to specify that in a certain type of program? Does it affect the audio or make the video shorter?
    Of course it's possible, but the question asked earlier was why ? If you wanted 30fps, then record 30fps

Most programs usually drop every 2nd frame, but you can usually specify the method used (the other commonly used one is frame blending, which has a larger impact with non integer divisible FPS transformations - eg. if you go from 60 to 24 FPS it's not evenly divisible ,so you get jerky problems with pure frame dropping) . Neither method affects audio or makes video shorter (duration is the same, because the same proportion is used eg. 60=>30 drops 1/2 the frames, but plays back at 1/2 the fps)
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was curious if it is possible to drop frames from 50/60 - 25/30. I have read about it on this forum or elsewhere. I am not sure when or why it would be needed.

Are any media players or set-top boxes having trouble with 50/60 fps? I have read that some are still recognizing only 30 fps. I know that some products record into 60 fps, but export at 30 fps. Some information is confusing/marketing.

Why would some people mention to keep or even add frames? Eg: If something is 25 or 30 fps, why turn it into 50 or 60 fps?

I will try the mentioned programs and download a few trials for what commercial programs are out.

The desktop and laptop I use recognize 60 fps. VLC and even Windows Media Player recognize AVI or MP4 at 60 frames per second. I see the codec when I open various programs. But the exports are not guaranteed.

I don't think I need the codec packs since the Largatrith zip file came from this site. I just opened it and it installed.
    Last edited by SyncroScales; 22nd Jul 2015 at 05:59.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by SyncroScales View Post
    I was curious if it is possible to drop frames from 50/60 - 25/30. I have read about it on this forum or elsewhere. I am not sure when or why it would be needed.

Are any media players or set-top boxes having trouble with 50/60 fps? I have read that some are still recognizing only 30 fps. I know that some products record into 60 fps, but export at 30 fps. Some information is confusing/marketing.
    Yes, some devices, media boxes are limited to L4.1 for AVC/h.264 . This means they cannot play 1080p60

Why would some people mention to keep or even add frames? Eg: If something is 25 or 30 fps, why turn it into 50 or 60 fps?
    It depends on the situation and context.
    Quote Quote  
  7. poisondeathray: I don't know what to ask. How does it work? Why? Why not? Any posts to read that are not 120+ pages?

Thanks for the info everyone.
    Quote Quote