VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a pair of headphones. I didn't know they were mono. Who the heck uses mono these days? Anyway, does anyone know how to modify mono headphones, to get stereo sound? I know there must be a modification out there somewhere!

Please let me know if anyone out there is mod savvy.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Assuming they have a single mono jackplug, it will need to be replaced with a stereo jack. This will involve some soldering. The mono jack will have 2 connections, signal and ground. A stereo jack will have 3 connections, L signal, R signal and ground (a quick google will find you diagrams of typical jack connection layouts).

The complication in this is you need to find where the mono signal splits to go to the left or right speaker, because you need to separate them. This will depend on how your headphones are constructed. It may not be worth doing the mod if it becomes too invasive. Many things are not designed to be taken apart these days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's possible that it's a stereo headphone that just has a mono plug.

Some plugs can be unscrewed and you can see the wiring, most though are molded and you'd have to break them to get at the wiring.

Or just cut the wire near the plug and see if it has three strands (left, right, earth), or just two.
    If three, you can buy a stereo plug for about $1 and solder it on. If two you'll have to replace the wire too.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll try to mod them myself by your recommendations. For $25.00 or so, the headphones aren't that big of a deal. I did order some wireless stereo ones online last week, and they should be arriving monday. Until then, maybe i can fix these where there is stereo instead of mono. Like i said in my original post, NOBODY uses mono these days. This is a very primitive business decision. It's quite laughable that any respectible company would sell mono headphones in such a digital world as we live in. Yes, i can see a mono headphone, like on a headset, for like using Skype or something, but not for listening to music.
    Quote Quote  
  5. For U$19.00 u can get SONY big (may be noise canceling, i did not check specs) in local stores which also produces excellent sound quality.
    Next is Panasonic is same range.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by snafubaby View Post
    Who the heck uses mono these days?
    Helecopter pilots/crew and most digital cameras.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Also radio amateurs and short wave listeners use mono headphones.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Originally Posted by snafubaby View Post
    Who the heck uses mono these days?
    Helecopter pilots/crew and most digital cameras.
    But realisically, MOST people buy headphones for their mp3 players, or home stereos (if they even still make them these days), and their computers, or even HDTV's. Most people don't buy headphones for other means. Plus, Sylvania should have simply stated MONO on the box. It's very misleading to not put that on there.
    Quote Quote