VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!

Ive got a bunch of dvd+r 's (cheap brand) that Ive burned on my Pioneer DVD-recorder DVR540.

The discs are now impossible to watch.

The Philips recorder wont play them and both my desktop pc win7 x64 with a samsung dvd-player and my wifes laptop hp with xp sp3 says that the disc is empty.

Can I save these discs somehow?

//Anders
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Did you finalize the discs in the recorder after you recorded them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes and I could have mentioned that; I recorded these dvds a couple of years ago and have watched them on my dvr540 and pc a number of times.

Then, maybe a year ago, the dvr540 started to recent these disc and would only play and record on JVC/Taiyo Yuden-dvds.

If I remember correctly, the disc would also play just fine on any dvd-player (desktop/laptop) that I had.

But now nothing!!

//Anders
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by garylanders View Post
    Yes and I could have mentioned that; I recorded these dvds a couple of years ago and have watched them on my dvr540
    Well if they are un-finalized....they will normally ONLY play on the machine that recorded them. They will rarely play on anything else. "They played on the DVR450" cannot be used as an answer to Have They Been Finalized?

Since you say they were finalized....then the only other answer is that all of those discs have become un-readable somehow....and they all have done so at the same exact time. The odds are pretty slim against such happenings but
    you could download the trial version of something like CDRoller (not actually sure if CDRoller has a "trial") and see if that program sees anything on those discs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    "They played on the DVR450" cannot be used as an answer to Have They Been Finalized?
    That wasn't his answer though - that was an additional sentence after he'd already answered your question with a YES.

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Did you finalize the discs in the recorder after you recorded them?
    Yes and I could have mentioned that;
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Yes and I could have mentioned that; I recorded these dvds a couple of years ago and have watched them on my dvr540
    Well if they are un-finalized....they will normally ONLY play on the machine that recorded them. They will rarely play on anything else. "They played on the DVR450" cannot be used as an answer to Have They Been Finalized?

Since you say they were finalized....then the only other answer is that all of those discs have become un-readable somehow....and they all have done so at the same exact time. The odds are pretty slim against such happenings but
    you could download the trial version of something like CDRoller (not actually sure if CDRoller has a "trial") and see if that program sees anything on those discs.
    All of these disc did play on other dvd-players and I am sure that I finalized them. I did so on all discs.

My DVD+r DL disc from the same period do all play fine on all players, including the dvr540.

But I agree, it seems odd that all discs wouldve become unreadable at the same time. All of the discs are of the same brand, or no-brand in this case, though. I will try CDRoller. Thank you.

//Anders
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mike20021969 View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    "They played on the DVR450" cannot be used as an answer to Have They Been Finalized?
    That wasn't his answer though - that was an additional sentence after he'd already answered your question with a YES.
    Shut Up.
    He knows what I meant.....his reply to what I was hinting at says it all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    But I agree, it seems odd that all discs wouldve become unreadable at the same time. All of the discs are of the same brand, or no-brand in this case, though. I will try CDRoller. Thank you.
    The jury is still out on whether discs just "go bad". I say they do. I have a few infamous Princo discs that I have been watching occasionally for years that now almost refuse to load in any of my 3 DVD burners and will not load on 1 of my 2 DVD players. Anything is possible. Good luck with CDRoller. I've never used it. I bought IsoBuster.....but I don't think it has any kind of trial period(for MPEG2/DVD) or I would have mentioned that one too.
    Quote Quote  
  9. No need to be rude. I just assumed that you didnt think I was a total "noob". Ive finalized a couple of hundred dvds on my dvr and watched most of them on other players.

//Anders
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    The jury is still out on whether discs just "go bad". I say they do. I have a few infamous Princo discs that I have been watching occasionally for years that now almost refuse to load in any of my 3 DVD burners and will not load on 1 of my 2 DVD players. Anything is possible. Good luck with CDRoller. I've never used it. I bought IsoBuster.....but I don't think it has any kind of trial period(for MPEG2/DVD) or I would have mentioned that one too.

Yes I would think so to. I only use JVC nowadays but at the time I just bought the cheapest discs available, big mistake
    Quote Quote