VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This guide explains for newbies the correct manner in how to use virtualdubs frameserving abilities as that reposted framserving guide I seen in this forum dose not fully explain the concept at all .

This guide simply explains the setup on how to frameserve from vitualdub or virtualmod too bbmpeg to turn avi into dvd mpeg2 type video

Launch Virtualdub , then

Locate you video file , and when loaded

Then hit the first of these two buttons

Then

Then hit the second of those two buttons

Now

Followed by

Here it should be set too

Click ok and now go to the folder where virtualdub is installed and locate this file

Double click it , then sellect install handlers , the exit it , return to virtualdub and now

Then you get this

hit start , then

Must include avi extension

Hit save and you is here

Now you want to run avi2mpg2_vfw (bbmpeg)

Then hit ADD button

Locate that avi file you just started

Hit open , and you is here

Hit Start Encoding

Then in the next window , hit that Settings button ,and for pal do what I have

Now go here and do the same thing as I have done

Hit Ok button , then Start button , and wait till encoding is completed

For audio conversion please check out my other guide online at

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=269499

It deals with audio conversion , and muxing the m2v and new audio file back together for simple dvd authoring and burning

Note : for those wanting to resize the video prior to frameserving to the correct size for pal or ntsc , you must prior to frameserving go here

This is for pal :

Here we use filters

In the next window to appear , hit that add button

Then go down too resize

Double click it and now

Click ok , and ok again , now you can frameserve it .

This filter is also the one i use to resize smaller video's to full dvd resolution , but thats using the other features in that filter to center the video in a black box , which I think is the best method to use .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional notes : 01/02/06

Some user's may have been not able to get frameserving to bbmpeg to work .

Beaware that when frameserving , it wont work if the file's name contain's character's that are not numerical , or alphabetical , it will allow for "-" , and "_" , but not other characters .

My advice here is before you start , if the name is over 8 characters long , please rename your file to eight characters long only .
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi....

Thanks for the detailed step by step explaination...

But I've encountered problem right on the start of the step....

After i open up my video file, which i'm not too sure of what format it's in but it can be opened in Window Media Player, it comes out with an error msg....

Well, not exactly an error msg.... but it opens a window titled virtualdub warning.

It stated....
    Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID'(unknown)
    VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows [VFW] compatible codec to decompress video. Directshow codecs, such as those used by Window Media Player, are not suitable. Only 'Direct stream copy' is available for this video.

That is it..... As I'm a newbie in video and audio converting, I didn't exactly understand what it means and what can be done....

Therefore, any enlightenments on any sort of help replied by pro in this forum will very much be appreciated..

Info on the video
    Downloaded from bitcomet
    and wanted to transfer into a vcd.
    Have since downloaded virtualDub and video easy.

thanks in advance..
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    install the xvid codec.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    install the xvid codec.
    Thanks for the reply....

I've encountered yet another problem when i want to add the file that i created with the .avi extension....

When i open the application AVI2MPG2_VFW to open the file, it says unable to open the file.....

Another question.... do i have to wait for the virtualDub to finish serving before i can proceed with the AVI2MPG2_VFW?

Pardon me for my naiveness..... I'm a extreme newbie...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure you have installed the handlers as used via auxsetup (in the vdub folder), under xp , it seems to reset itself , though it could just be my xp doing it .

As for avi2mpg_wfw , try avi2mpg and see .

For me its the vfw version .

Just to clear things up a bit , and make it easier , go back into compression setup , and choose none , this should help with avi2mpeg , either version .

If virtualdub can open with out complaining , then a suitable decompressor is installed .

This is just because there are a few versions available for xvid , a nice compressor , but when serving to bbmpeg , its best to send uncompressed , as bbmpeg , as its nown , will compress to which ever format of mpeg you choose .

Now as for "do you wait till serving is done"

Well , yes , I have seen a few pcs , that when working in other programs , the serving stops and waits till you stop using the other app , or slows down , so its best to let it rip and do the job .

Which reminds me to get back onto my other guide ...

As for most pc warnings that appear from time too time on users pc screens , some are easy to understand , and some are complete rubbish which ms should have fixed by now .

As you mentioned what the complaint said , I'd imagine this is more to do with the compressor used in the video source you tried loading , in this event , grab gspot and get it to render the file to see if your system has a compatable decompressor installed .

I cant recall the other tool used to configure the directshow filters , but it might be worth adding to your video kit , just head over too the tools section .

Update : For those getting xvid error , please use nics fourcc changer , just go through the motions of clicking the various features , even the xvid one's , hit apply , then quit ... vdub should now beable to pick it up from there ... this problem happened after installing Matroska_Pack_Full_v1.1.2 ... I recommend backing up the registry before installing these packs , just incase .
    Quote Quote