VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I am trying to convert my old vhs-c tapes to a digital format.

I am having trouble rewinding and fast forwarding these tapes. They will play back, but I am never sure if I have really reached the end or started at the beginning. I will be rewinding the tape and it will stop as if it is at the beginning. But if I select rewind again it will rewind some more. The same with fast forwarding.

I have tried playing these tapes in two different VCR's. The second one is a brand new Zenith DVD/VCR combo, model # XBV713.

The vhs-c adapter I have is the one that came with the camera. (I should mention the camera is broken). Would it be wise to try a new vhs-c adapter? Could that be the problem? Or is there something wrong with the tapes?

Thanks, Bill
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using a motorized adapter? Perhaps fresh batteries help? Does the tape appear to have reached the end/beginning when you look inside the clear window on the vhs-c cassette?
    You can help avoid many potentially problematic issues by cleaning or having your VCR cleaned prior to undertaking your project.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many VCR's stop when they get to zero on the footage meter, regardless of where the end of the tape actually is. I would just get used to checking, or use a seperate VCR rewinder..
    Rob
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I installed a new battery in the adapter.

Rob I think your info about the vcr stopping when the counter reaches zero may have been part of the problem.

I will know for sure in a few days when I have more time.

Thanks to both of you. I am new to video editing and this forum. The forum is a great resource.

Bill
    Quote Quote  
  5. My adapter never even worked right when it was new. I played back all of my tapes in the camcorder when it was time to transfer to digital.

Do you still have the camcorder?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, my VHS-C camcorder failed a few years back. The tapes have been sitting in a drawer for years and I finally decided I need to convert them.

It would be great if the camera still worked. If it did I wouldn't have gone out yesterday and purchased a DVD/VCR combo unit.

Thanks for the reply, Bill
    Quote Quote