VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just got a New PC with USB 3.0 would like to buy a new capture card.

Only really have one requirement. Needs to do 1080P with good quality with a decent bitrate.

The cards I considered:

ExtremeCap U3: reviews have been mixed, some say great card but it's the software that causing issues, locking up during recording. Anyone who owns it tell me if software cause any major issues? or if other software like Nero or Maybe VirtualDub Capture will work with it?

Elgato: I know Nero Capture now supports the card. Has anyone used Nero capture with this card if so how is it? Can you use the full bitrate (all 30)? I believe the naive software splits the files and then merges them once the recording is done. Why I would use Nero over their software.

HD-PVR 2 (Non Gaming version): I had game edition however it always had heat issues, Getting way to hot then it should. Any know if the heat issue has been fixed?

Blackmagic Shuttle: Don't think this is a option since blackmagic does not support Windows 8.1. If anyone has heard different please weight in.

If theirs any other card I should consider please let me know.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Congratulations! You may have set a record here for the longest time between joining and making your first post. Couldn't hold out another 10 years and go for 20? Mostly kidding, but geez, what took you so long?

Anyway, you need to post back WHAT you want to capture. If you're a gamer then we need to know that. If you live in a country where your analog TV format is PAL (ie. UK, Australia, many many others) AND you want to capture games, then you will need PAL60 support in your capture card.

Did you do anything unusual with your HD-PVR 2 Game Edition, like use it for a LONG time in a row? I haven't heard of any heat issues with the card, but then again, maybe you were doing 5+ hour captures and yeah, that might get hot.

Nero tends to be a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of software so even if a card can use Nero Capture, there's probably a better capture program available.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Revan654 View Post
    Elgato: I know Nero Capture now supports the card. Has anyone used Nero capture with this card if so how is it? Can you use the full bitrate (all 30)? I believe the naive software splits the files and then merges them once the recording is done. Why I would use Nero over their software.
    Where did you read that Nero Capture supports the Elgato Game Capture HD? I can believe that Nero supports the Elgato Video Capture (a SD USB device) but the drivers for the Elgato Game Capture HD are designed to work in a way that is very atypical for HD capture products.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Congratulations! You may have set a record here for the longest time between joining and making your first post. Couldn't hold out another 10 years and go for 20? Mostly kidding, but geez, what took you so long?

Anyway, you need to post back WHAT you want to capture. If you're a gamer then we need to know that. If you live in a country where your analog TV format is PAL (ie. UK, Australia, many many others) AND you want to capture games, then you will need PAL60 support in your capture card.

Did you do anything unusual with your HD-PVR 2 Game Edition, like use it for a LONG time in a row? I haven't heard of any heat issues with the card, but then again, maybe you were doing 5+ hour captures and yeah, that might get hot.

Nero tends to be a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of software so even if a card can use Nero Capture, there's probably a better capture program available.
    I forgot I even had an account here.

-----

I'm in the US. I'm going for Game capture & TV capture (to get content from my DVR to PC). 1080P with high bitrate. I would assume ExtremeCap would be the best choice since it can do 60FPS.

It seems VituralDub can be used with ExtremeCap as well.

As for the HDPVR2 I have ran it for hours at a time, the time it got boiling hot, it wasn't even on for 30 minutes yet.

---------

One side question:

One requirement for ExtremeCap is: Intel chipset with native USB 3.0 host controller (Verified chipset: Intel, Renesas, Fresco).

My PC is a Dell 8700 Special Edition with i7 Intel Processor. I believe chipset is a Dell Lynx Point Z87.

I would assume it's a verified intel chipset, Does anyone know for certain?
    Quote Quote  
  5. If Nero uses the DirectShow capture driver of the ElGato CPU usage will be very high. The DirectShow filter decompresses the incoming h.264 video stream delivering uncompressed frames, which you'll have to compress again. But the device can deliver 30 Mb/s and at that bitrate looks better than the other capture devices at their (~15 Mb/s) max bitrate.

And don't forget: you'll probably need an HDCP stripper to record from a cable/sat DVR.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One side question:

One requirement for ExtremeCap is: Intel chipset with native USB 3.0 host controller (Verified chipset: Intel, Renesas, Fresco).

My PC is a Dell 8700 Special Edition with i7 Intel Processor. I believe chipset is a Dell Lynx Point Z87.

I would assume it's a verified intel chipset, Does anyone know for certain?
    This link shows how to check for the required USB 3.0 controllers http://gamerzone.avermedia.com/game_capture/extremecap_u3/purchasing#1
    Quote Quote  
  7. ^ Thanks I will look take a look.

----------

One Final Question:

For Blackmagic Shuttle USB 3.0. I was wonder if my PC would be able to run it or install it correctly.

My PC is a Dell XPS 8700 Special Edition.

Specs:

Videocard: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB DDR5
    Harddrive: 2TB 7200 RPM
    Memory: 16GB Dual Channel DDR3
    Processor: 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790
    Chipset: Lynx Point Z87 (I Believe)
    Motherboard: Not sure what Dell uses I couldn't find out what they use.

If not Shuttle any chance I could run the Pro?

-Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ^ Thanks I will look take a look.

----------

One Final Question:

For Blackmagic Shuttle USB 3.0. I was wonder if my PC would be able to run it or install it correctly.

My PC is a Dell XPS 8700 Special Edition.

Specs:

Videocard: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB DDR5
    Harddrive: 2TB 7200 RPM
    Memory: 16GB Dual Channel DDR3
    Processor: 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790
    Chipset: Lynx Point Z87 (I Believe)
    Motherboard: Not sure what Dell uses I couldn't find out what they use.

If not Shuttle any chance I could run the Pro?

-Thanks
    Blackmagic's FAQs still indicate that the Shuttle requires NEC Renesas-based USB 3.0 controller. The PCI-e Intensity Pro only requires a PCI-e x1 slot, but reportedly had driver issues with Windows 8.1 at the time of the Windows 8.1 release. I don't know if that problem has been addressed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

As for the HDPVR2 I have ran it for hours at a time, the time it got boiling hot, it wasn't even on for 30 minutes yet.
    Yup that a know problem with Hauppauge device
    There always the HD-PVR Rocket
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by SHS View Post

I picked up HD-PVR 2 (1512 Model). I had nothing but problems. Capture software did nothing but crash. 3rd party software did the same. Reformated my PC twice, software still nothing but crash.

You know something is terribly wrong when drivers were very hard to install.

I never had that much trouble with GE version.

I went with Elgato instead. It's a little weird how the device records.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post

I picked up HD-PVR 2 (1512 Model). I had nothing but problems. Capture software did nothing but crash. 3rd party software did the same. Reformated my PC twice, software still nothing but crash.

If had that min problem then you should have call Hauppauge and ask for replacement because it sound like a bad device and by the way next time try getting your fact right as the 1512 is NOT a GE Model version so this tell me you never had one and your are just try BS ever one here ? as you have not even made one post in 11 day here about your problem with HD-PVR 2 as I have had the first HD-PVR 2 model 1480 running non stop with SageTV Media Sever for 2 year now the day it come out and I even have newer 1512 model it to was running non stop for 1 year just because there know problem with Hauppauge device getting a bit warm that doesn't it the end of world unlike very first HD-PVR or some older PVR.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    next time try getting your fact right as the 1512 is NOT a GE Model version so this tell me you never had one and your are just try BS ever one here ?
    He didn't say the GE model was 1512. He said he had problems with the 1512 -- but did not have problems at some other time with the GE version.

I picked up HD-PVR 2 (1512 Model). I had nothing but problems...

Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by SHS View Post

If had that min problem then you should have call Hauppauge and ask for replacement because it sound like a bad device and by the way next time try getting your fact right as the 1512 is NOT a GE Model version so this tell me you never had one and your are just try BS ever one here ? as you have not even made one post in 11 day here about your problem with HD-PVR 2 as I have had the first HD-PVR 2 model 1480 running non stop with SageTV Media Sever for 2 year now the day it come out and I even have newer 1512 model it to was running non stop for 1 year just because there know problem with Hauppauge device getting a bit warm that doesn't it the end of world unlike very first HD-PVR or some older PVR.
    If you read my posts you would have know that I said I originally had GE until it went bad recently, It's why I picked up 1512 thinking It would operate the same without any issues. Just because you didn't have any issues doesn't mean others don't. Theirs a few post over at AVS forum about same issue I was having.

No where did I ever say GE was the same as 1512. Don't know where that came from. Someone needs to read posts more carefully before replying to them.

a little warm, try again. It gets very hot to point you can't even touch it.

Not all of us are on the PC 24/7, Sometimes their are more important things to deal with then getting a capture card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    next time try getting your fact right as the 1512 is NOT a GE Model version so this tell me you never had one and your are just try BS ever one here ?
    He didn't say the GE model was 1512. He said he had problems with the 1512 -- but did not have problems at some other time with the GE version.

To me that sound like HD-PVR 2 GE version that he was have trouble when should put HD-PVR GE version then I would have under stood
    Last edited by SHS; 23rd Jun 2014 at 14:21.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you read my posts you would have know that I said I originally had GE until it went bad recently, It's why I picked up 1512 thinking It would operate the same without any issues. Just because you didn't have any issues doesn't mean others don't. Theirs a few post over at AVS forum about same issue I was having.

No where did I ever say GE was the same as 1512. Don't know where that came from. Someone needs to read posts more carefully before replying to them.

a little warm, try again. It gets very hot to point you can't even touch it.

Not all of us are on the PC 24/7, Sometimes their are more important things to deal with then getting a capture card.
    You never said originally HD-PVR GE you just said GE version which could be the small handful of HD-PVR 2 GE but later drop for HD-PVR 2 GE Plus and first originally model HD-PVR GE.
    I take it you don't what SageTV is ? you know what MCE is I hope that that SageTV is only it far better DVR Recorder
    The originally HD-PVR GE did need a fan min of us mod the case for that.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by SHS View Post

To me that sound like HD-PVR 2 GE version that he was have trouble when should put HD-PVR GE version then I would have under stood
    What he said is 100 percent clear to me. I don't know how you can misinterpret it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

What he said is 100 percent clear to me. I don't know how you can misinterpret it.
    I just miss under stood it that all things happing I'm not worlds great at reading or writing.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!