VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Wonder if you guy can inform me to good specks for pc to rip then edits uncompress bluerays movie. i have 3 core athlon 3.0ghz, 8 GB ddr3. Do i needs more higher cpu, and also, what regarding hard drives, raid or No?

I use Corel videostudio x4. I have 1.5 TB hard drive I can installs.

what are you operating, is it sifficent?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I sure some one has idea?

I want to not be slow on my editing of uncompress blueray. i look at AMD 6350 FX cpu, my motherbaord CAN support! also I have 1.5TB hdd and 8GB ECC ddr3. Good?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    you say that your motherboard can support an fx6350, look to see if it supports an fx8350, it's worth the few bucks extra.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Did you really mean uncompressed ? Because uncompressed 1920x1080 YUV 420 will be ~ 100MB/s . A single HDD can't handle it, you need raid-0 or SSD
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    And even if you can edit an 'uncompressed' BD file, you can't easily convert that back to a Blu-ray disc. You can maybe re-author it to a AVCHD file, but it won't have menus like the original and may not be compatible with some BD players. And you would need a 50GB DL BD disc to burn it again.

Also, what kind of edits? Even doing simple cuts and pastes are complicated with a BD file if you want any editing accuracy.
    Quote Quote  
  6. deadrats i do not know if Corel utilise more cores efficently. also $200 rich for blood.

poisondeathray, redwudz...i have 2x 1.5tb drive i utilise. i though i need only one. RAID, really??? i think most hdd go over 100mbps now, no?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ken B. View Post
    deadrats i do not know if Corel utilise more cores efficently. also $200 rich for blood.

poisondeathray, redwudz...i have 2x 1.5tb drive i utilise. i though i need only one. RAID, really??? i think most hdd go over 100mbps now, no?
    if you live near a microcenter it can be had for $180. if Corel can utilize 6 cores it can utilize 8 cores and there may come a day when you decide you want to use a different program like a sony vegas based one that can utilize up to 16 cores.

there seems to be a misunderstanding between you and the other 2 posters: you said you wanted to edit uncompressed blu-ray, technically there's no such thing. blu-ray by definition is already compressed using one of three compression schemes, vc-1, h264 or mpeg-2 with a variety of different audio compression schemes (i have to look up to see what audio is allowed in blu-ray).

what they thought you might mean is true uncompressed video that has the same resolution as blu-ray, i.e. 1920x1080i/p or 1280x720p and various frame rates; such source files are huge and because there is no compression the throughput achievable when working with them will easily overwhelm a single hard drive's capabilities, so you would need a raid array.

but you said you want to rip a blu-ray, which tells me you're working with compressed sources thus no raid needed, unless of course you have ****roaches.

but the other questions are still valid, in so far as what type of edits are you planning on doing, burning the results back to a blu-ray etc.

if it's something you've been doing all along and you just wanted advice on a faster cpu do get the job done faster, then there's no need for more info. if this is your first rodeo and it's just something you want to try, then i suggest you provide more details and we'll see if we can help you.

edit: really? the word filter censored the word c*ck in c*ckroaches? i thing our master in chief needs to rethink the word filter a bit.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Corel is not a smart-rendering editor. It will seriously damage your video. Also, I agree: I don't think you know what "uncompress" means when it comes to encoded video. Even if you did "uncompress" it, your computer isn't powerful enough to handle uncompressed HD video.

to "rip" a video dos not mean to decompress it. It means to copy from one location to another, usually from optical disc to hard drive.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 07:23.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Ken B. View Post
    deadrats i do not know if Corel utilise more cores efficently. also $200 rich for blood.

First clarify that you understand the difference between a "rip" and uncompressed video

For uncompressed, you would minimum transfer rates to be > ~100MB/s . Not maximum. Not average transfer rates. Otherwise you will get stuttering. That's megaBYTES per second, not megaBITS per second
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks you deadrats. i want to edits Transformers movies for daughter, make it PG instread of PG13. i will just needing to do cuts maybe dissolves, no fancy editings.

I under imprestion that it better to "decompress" compress video, edit, then recompress after edits done, no? but first step to rip video, right? i cannot edit until ripped off first.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    True, you have to rip and decrypt a decrypted DVD first. However, you seem to think that video "compression" is like ZIP or RAR. Nothing of the kind. Video encoding is completely different and is a lossy process -- which means that each time video is re-encoded, you get back less data than you started with.

IF you rip and decrypt, then you have an MPEG and perhaps a separate PCM .wav file. There is no reason why TMPGenc MPEG Editor could not accept MPEG video and .wav audio. It's possible the audio and video might have different file names after the rip. Just tell TMPGenc where the files are located. You can make frame-specific cuts in TMPGenc MPEG Smart Renderer or the oldr TMPgenc MPEG Editor (both have smart-rendering), and the program lets you add some transitions and even do a little audio filtering. The output would be MPEG with imbedded AC3 audio. Feed that into TMPEGenc's authoring program to get the output folders and files for DVD and menus.

If you want h264, that's a different story. You can save your MPEG edits as finished MPEG out of the editor, then re-encode elsewhere to h264. Feed the edited MPEGs to TMPGenc Video Mastering Works and encode with their x264 encoding engine. Then feed the h264 files into DVD Author for a BluRay or AVCHD disc.

The case for decoding MPEG to lossless AVI would apply for considerably more fancy editing and cleanup.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ken B. View Post
    I under impression that it better to "decompress" compress video, edit, then re-compress after edits done, no? but first step to rip video, right? i cannot edit until ripped off first.
    here's the thing, in an ideal world it would be best to rip the blu-ray, decode to an uncompressed or lossless compressed format, like huffyuv or lagarith, perform your edits, then encode the resultant file to your final format.

but, this requires huge amounts of hard drive space and as pointed out already really fast read/write speeds, faster than any single drive could offer.

with compressed sources, the app decompresses the stream dynamically, a portion at a time, just the parts that you are working on. this has the benefit of using less hard drive space but at the expense of slower edits and more ram usage.

many of the more advanced apps now use proxy editing, where your edits are done to a lower spec temp file and then applied to your source during the final render.

no matter which way you look at it it's going to be a lot of work and you may decide you're better off simply not letting your daughter see the movie(s) in question until she's a bit older.

that may be less of a headache in the long run.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    @Sanlyn

he said that he wants to edit the transformers movies for his daughter, they are not mpeg-2, they are h264. tmpg video mastering works would be the easiest for simple cuts to eliminate the parts he finds objectionable but as far as i know that app doesn't do dissolves.

i wonder if he could find a tv capture somewhere since that would already be edited for content.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Actually TVMW will do dissolves in timeline mode (it's clunkier than a "real" NLE but feature-rich for what it is.)

But like many others I'm uncomfortable with the idea of "age-appropriate" cuts. Either wait till she's older or don't be so squeamish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dissolve.png
Views:	280
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	23542
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    @Sanlyn

he said that he wants to edit the transformers movies for his daughter, they are not mpeg-2, they are h264. tmpg video mastering works would be the easiest for simple cuts to eliminate the parts he finds objectionable but as far as i know that app doesn't do dissolves.

i wonder if he could find a tv capture somewhere since that would already be edited for content.
    The TMPgenc software I mentioned also works with h264.

TMPGenc Smart Renderer
    TMPGenc Authoring Works 5
    TMPGenc Mastering Works 5

I believe the O.P. stated he already owns some of this. If he has earlier versions of TMPGenc, he gets discounts. If wants free stuff, he'll have to settle for some pains in the neck.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    But like many others I'm uncomfortable with the idea of "age-appropriate" cuts. Either wait till she's older or don't be so squeamish.
    i'm trying to think back to the transformers movies, was there anything, other than the violent action that could qualify as "objectionable", any nudity, language or the like?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    i'm trying to think back to the transformers movies, was there anything, other than the violent action that could qualify as "objectionable", any nudity, language or the like?
    Maybe it's just too loud.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Violence is good for kids, but boobies are criminal?

Strange world we live in. But apparently it's been that way for a very long time.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 07:24.
    Quote Quote