1. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have these speakers
    Click image for larger version

Name:	71TJPXKE6KL.gif
Views:	7746
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	254

I'd like to run both my wife's and my own computer to this one set. I have 2 of these Multimedia Volume Controls, one for each pc.
    Name:  53CW0000AA053.jpg
Views: 9088
Size:  9.7 KB.
    Now i tried to run both controls to the back of the speaker by using a headphone splitter cable, Name:  pRS1C-2801065w345.jpg
Views: 8476
Size:  7.1 KB
    as well as one of these
    Name:  HF-5_0.JPG
Views: 8391
Size:  40.3 KB
    but having both computers volume controls plugged in this way caused a humming/hissing sound. So is there some way I can use both pcs on this one set and still have each use there own volume controls?

I tried plugging her volume control from her line OUT to my line IN on pc, and it seemed to work fine (no hum/hissing), just needed to adjust the line in vol. But the problem is, if I have my volume turned low then even if her volume is @ max, she can only go as loud as my pc is set at (making her go to my computer to turn up the vol). So what I'd like to do is some how directly run both volume controls to the single input in the back of the speaker itself. But everything I've tried I get the humming/hissing? any ideas?
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote  
  2. It won't work, you have to get an A-B switch such as the MK-1:
    http://electronicsusa.com/mk1and2.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The best way would be to get a selector switch. But you would only be able to use one PC at a time. But if you don't need a really good sound system, it would be easier to pick up a second set of economy speakers. Trying to use two inputs connected to the same speaker most of the time with get you hum or distortion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    yup, that's what I may do. For now though running it through my line In is doing the job (for now.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    KVM audio switch
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Op amp and a few resistors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the speakers have RCA connections all you need is a pair of RCA "Y" connection cables from the speakers to the computers, I am currently using that setup. You need to have 2 connectors shown in picture 4 connected to the "Y" cables.
    Last edited by blinky88; 6th Feb 2010 at 10:49.
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    no rca connections just a single 1/8 head phone type jack for the input.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That should not be much of a problem. Go to a local electronics shop and buy the input connections you need and replace the RCA input connections .... it is not a big job.
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    as suggested just buy another pair of computer speakers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Budz,

Why would you suggest "buy another set of speakers" when it is so simple to replace the RCA connections with 2x1/8" mono connectors ?
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Connecting 2 outputs together is not good electrically and generally results in hum and or a ground loop. The easiest and safest way is to get another set of speakers. In the worst case scenario you could blow a circuit board. I've seen this happen and I was the local technical guru who had to fix the bloody mess. Outputs from any audio amplifier at the power out (or speaker out) stage should never be paralleled. At and earlier voltage stage like line in that's ok just a couple of 20K ohm resistors if you want to be fancy. When you parallel the output stage you halving the output impedance and allowing the amps to go into instability, the current flow can also double in some designs.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blinky88 View Post
    Hi Budz,

Why would you suggest "buy another set of speakers" when it is so simple to replace the RCA connections with 2x1/8" mono connectors ?
    cuz you can get cheap computer speakers.
    Quote Quote  
  14. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    All set guys I'm sticking with line in process for now. Probably will get some other speakers at some point.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Budz, I hate to disagree with you as you have given me a lot of good advise in the past ..but.. IT IS A SIMPLE TASK TO REPLACE THE RCA PLUGS, both of my computers are operating with one set of speakers, no problems whatsoever.
    Cheers from downunder.
    Quote Quote