VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.

Recently i have had big problems with copying Dvd to Dvd-r discs

The problem is that as soon as i have started the progress when its either analyzing or encoding it reaches between 70-90% when it comes to thoose numbers the program just shuts down for no reason...why does it do that?

And i have tried with Dvd Encrypter to. Have made iso file and tried it that way but when the encoding reaches around 80% i shuts down again.
    Its so frustrating. what can the problem be?

thankful for any help here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What are your PC Specs? If you complete your profile and add the Hardware specs, it will make it easier to troubleshoot. Are you using Win 98?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could be a faulty/damaged disc. Try cleaning the disc and even ripping the disk in a different drive or PC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I donīt really remember everything but its a decent one
    I use Win XP
    The thing is, that it hasnīt been any problem until now.
    I donīt know if its the Dvd but the program shouldnīt just shutdown itself.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Shrink is a very memory intensive program and can become corrupted over time. you might try the following:

1) Uninstall and then reinstall DVD Shrink.
    2) Check your Task Manager to see if you are running too many processes and are running out of system resources.
    3) Defrag your hard drive. If you do a lot of video processing you really should do this fairly often

Holmes
    Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, no matter how improbable must be the answer.

S. Holmes
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well here is my PC specs

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1500MHz
    1.50 GHz 512 Mb Ram

Could it be that other programs are interfering with Dvd Shrink??
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomping
    Hello.
    Recently i have had big problems with copying Dvd to Dvd-r discs
    The problem is that as soon as i have started the progress when its either analyzing or encoding it reaches between 70-90% when it comes to thoose numbers the program just shuts down for no reason...why does it do that?
    And i have tried with Dvd Encrypter to. Have made iso file and tried it that way but when the encoding reaches around 80% i shuts down again.
    Its so frustrating. what can the problem be?
    thankful for any help here.
    I know you said both programs just "shut down for no reason." But, just to clarify (and narrow down the possible causes), do either of these programs give any sort of an error message at all, when they "shut down"? Or, do they literally just "disappear" completely, as if they had not even been running?

If there is an error message, in either program, pay careful attention to what it says, and post this here, if possible.

Have you looked at the "log" in DVDDecrypter? You can even post that log here, as it will help some of the experts here to narrow the causes.

Are your drives running in "DMA" mode, or in "PIO" mode? Check this. If you do not know how, do a quick search, you will find exact instructions. You want your DVDdrives to be in DMA mode if possible.

As posts above suggest, yes, any other programs running in the background can definitely interfere. The process of ripping, and also of burning, is very memory intensive, and processor intensive (and it can obviously be hard drive intensive, as well). And, of course, programs can be running in the background without you ever knowing about them (a few are ones we WANT to be running, but many are often running that are annoyances, unnecessary, nuicances, and memory hogs.) Check the task manager to see what system resources are REALLY running, and look for any that might be hogging all of your system resources. Again, you can do a search if you do not know how to check the Task Manager for this info.

You are running with 512 RAM memory, I consider that to pretty much be a bare minimum, if you wish reliable results. I used to run a PC with 756 RAM and the ripping process and burning process ate up every bit of my resources, with that much RAM. You are running with one notch less than I was. Don't get me wrong, it can work with 512 RAM, but you will have to police any other stuff and make sure it is NOT running.

MANY things could be causing this. A few examples: it could be a virus, it could be some other "malware" you have accidentally picked up off the Internet, it could be a hard drive which is too full, it could be a hard drive which has become heavily fragmented, it could be programs which are running in the background, it could be a file system problem on the hard drive (are you running FAT 32 or NTSF?), and more...

A friend had all of his burns just quit on him with no error and no warning, until he uninstalled Roxio, for some reason. Apparently one of the codecs or software drives it loaded in the background was playing havoc with his burner. He tried three burning programs, they all quit at the same spot. Bizarre, and his is the only cases I have heard of like that -- although he found the answer from one someone who had had the same problem with the same DVD burner.

Give us as much info as you can about specs, error messages, titles where this occurs, whether it happens on some discs and not others, or all discs, etc. The more info you give, the better the chance someone will see the cause of the problem.

Bruce
    Quote Quote  
  8. hello BSpielbauer. that was some reply
    I will try and answer as many questions as i can.

The first thing: Its only Dvd Shrink that shutsdown.
    And when i does there are NO error warnings or anything. It just disappears like i never even started Shrink.
    There has been no problem with DVD Decrypter i used it to make an ISO and tried it from that way. But DVD Shrink just shut down.

Are your drives running in "DMA" mode, or in "PIO" mode? Check this. If you do not know how, do a quick search, you will find exact instructions. You want your DVDdrives to be in DMA mode if possible.
    I donīt know wich one im using...which one to windows XP usually use. Because i have never changed any stuff like DMA or PIO.

Im running it on NTFS and i defragmentet the computer yesterday. Should i do it again?

And by the way. The DVD im trying to copy are all fin there are no scratches or stuff like that. So thats one thing that canīt be the problem.

Should i try and close as many programs in the taskmanager before i start with Dvd Shrink?

You are running with 512 RAM memory, I consider that to pretty much be a bare minimum, if you wish reliable results. I used to run a PC with 756 RAM and the ripping process and burning process ate up every bit of my resources, with that much RAM. You are running with one notch less than I was. Don't get me wrong, it can work with 512 RAM, but you will have to police any other stuff and make sure it is NOT running.
    Well i havnīt hade any problems before running on 512 RAM memory. Its just this last week that the problems accured.

Is there anymore info you need?[/quote]
    Quote Quote  
  9. have you installed anything new between now and then?
    How Big A Boy Are Ya?
    Quote Quote  
  10. only a new anti-virus program F-secure
    and Counterstrike.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look in the Event Viewer (Right-click My Computer, select Manage. When the manage my computer screen opens, expand the Event Viewer tree, then click on Application Logs). Look for red symbols (a problem has been logged) and look for any that have DVD Shrink mentioned. What, if anything, do they say ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. hello.
    There wasnīt anything in the Event Viewer that concerned Dvd Shrink.
    The only thing recently was warnings with something about EvntAgnt what that now is?
    Quote Quote